Possible new tank setup

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

adehaan86

Possible new tank setup

by adehaan86

I was wondering for a 30 gallon tank what I would need where I should buy and how much it would cost to get a saltwater tank needed.

I have a filter , the tank and heater. it's currently setup for freshwater and being used.

Do I need A protein skimmer?

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Do you guys recommeded buying salt and mixing your own ? or I have a local pet store for 1 dollar a gallon.
I already have a R/O unit so water is no problem

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

since you already have the RO system at home i would definately mix my own water {i haul purchased RO home and mix it right now}

get a good test kit for marine tanks, get a refractometer or a swing arm SG tester {the refroction meter is MUCH more acurate - - -mix your water in a container of some sort { i use a 10 gallon tank with a heater and power head in it} mix your water at least a day in advance, i have water mixing at all times in case i need to do a quick water change}

for 1.00 a gallon in a 30 gallon tank i would prolly fill the tank the first time with water from the LFS {get like 40 gallons to start}

your filter should move 3-6 times your tank per hour {90 -120 gph} minimum on your tank - i have a 700 gph filter on a 20 gallon long tank plus a power head in there , you can run multiple filters if you have the room , i ran 2 big HOB {hang on back} for a long time to get the correct amount of turn over {you dont NEED to go out and spend a lot on monster filters right away, you will eventually though, lol}
2 aquaclear 110 HOBs would run your 30 just fine and their inexpensive filters

protein skimmers are not necessities but they sure are nice and help control nusance stress causeing algaes and water clearity issues,{and thats stress to you not the fish, lol} if your doing a fish only tank you could get a smaller one, if your going to do corals you'll definately want a bigger one and a good one

next will be lights..............power compacts or T-5 HO flouresents would be fine on a 30 - - -you can go crazy and get into metal halides if you have an unlimited budget {again if your going towards corals you will be happier with bigger better lights

live sand and live rock -- figure 1 1/2 lbs per gallon - - 40 lbs {2 bags} of arag-live sand and 20 lbs of live rock would be a very good start - - you can add more rock as you go but get a good 3-4 inch deep sand bed in there to start { I have 40 lbs of sand and 45 lbs of rock in a 20 gallon long tank which is the same foot print as a 30 gallon tank}

all in all i would say 500 - 1000 dollars would set up a nice solid dependable 30 gallon fish only with live rock salt system ...............lol you can go off the deep end and get thousands wrapped up in em quick bud, but budget tanks can be very nice and very rewarding - - - i started with about 500 bucks and had fish .................and over 2 yrs ive put about 1800 in the tank, upgradeing filters, lights adding more live rock and just general maint expenses

good luck man , keep asking questions and keep us posted !!!!!!

Boss

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I do have a freshwater planted tank right now. Im looking for something cheap that I can grow and learn off of like my freshwater planted. Of coarse I would not cut short on anything that would cost 1000's later but that's why Im thinking about starting with a 30 gallon vs. 55 or bigger. I do LOVE salt water and on a very limited budget but over time I can stick money vs all at once.

Snow boss I really appericate your input.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I was wondering for fish only tanks if I need to have a lot of lighting or the stock 20 watt work?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

you dont "need" alot of lighting for fish only - i have a buddy with a 300 gallon FO with 4 24 inch standard flourecents on it - - -he does fight algae because like a planted tank lower kelvin rated bulbs make things grow - so the higher rated bulbs 10k or higher would be better

also...........salt water fish have incredable color that just isnt brought out with standard bulbs

i have seen my light fixture on ebay for less than 150 bucks now {i paid 250 a couple yrs ago) but any way - - -its a Current Satiliite dual 96 watt 10,000K, {white lights} 460 actinic {the blue lights} and a LED moon light - - - -its 30" long i run two timers on it for day/night phases and its been a very good light

Boss

Possible new tank setup

6 posts