New Lights and can you get too much?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I am looking at getting new lights for my 55 gal aquarium. Right now I have a Current USA Satellite with 2-65 watt PC half 10,000K and half 460 Actinic. In my tank I have 100 lbs live rock 60 lbs live sand, 2 Candy cane coral, White star Polyps, Patch of Zoanthus polyps, Green Mushrooms and some Button polyps. I would like to get MH lights now but I am also looking at getting a larger tank (120) within the next year or two. If I get MH lights I would like to get 2-250 watt (Current USA Orbit) lights because the 120 gal tank will be deeper than my 55 (55 gal is 20" deep and the 120 gal is 24" deep). Would that be too much light for my corals in the 55 gal tank? I do not want to buy 2-150 watt MH now and then get the 2-250 watts later (too much money). What do you guys think?

Also does a 120 gal tank require any floor support due to weight? My house is only 12 years old and the kitchen has tile for flooring (tank will be going in the kitchen).

Thanks

P.S. I have posted this request on other Aquarium forums so if you answer my question on another forum thank you and sorry for the double post.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i worry about the weight of my tank as well.. mostly the fact that the stand might collapse is what im worried bout.... ask boss bout that problem... he seems to be the house savvy guy in here... as for the lights........... 500 watts in a 55 gal tank , roughly 10 watts per gal as opposed to 300 watts in a 55 gal which is roughly 6 watts per ga., personally i would go with the 300 watts, im sure 10 watts per gallon would be too much althought im not completely sure, im running 5.5 wpg and everything in my tank is flourishing, including the BTA, which was about 4 inches when i bought him and when my lights been on for a while in my tank he can expand to a foot easily.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Thanks blueshoes,

I am leaning towards getting cheap T5 lighting until I buy my new tank. Saw some online from Marine Depot for around $350 and then found a no name T5 light set on ebay for $100. Not sure which way I will go.

newbie916

by newbie916

I was in your shoes back in December because my T-5's went out in my tank and was going to cost me $600 for a new lighting system. I ended up buying a whole new setup. It really only cost me an additional $500 and I ended up getting a 95 gallon wave tank with Coralife 2x150 MH and 2x96 actinics and 4-LED moonlights. I decided to go with the 150 watt MH's because I didn't want to have to buy a chiller and wanted to save a little on energy costs. Since I switched over to a better tank and lighting system, my corals have been growing like crazy. If you are thinking about getting a new system, it's a pretty good time to buy. I bought my entire setup at the LFS's cost because they're trying to get rid of inventory. I spent about $1100 on the tank and lights and moved everything else from my old tank over. Best thing I've done so far

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i bought my fixtrue off ebay for 200, it is a MH T-5 combo with 4 lunar lights and a fan. They sell all lengths of it and trust me... IT IS A STEAL.... try looking into that....... very good buy..........

5 posts