What are some fish that prefer bright light?

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I have set up a new 30 gal aquarium with 130watts of light. Plants aren't a problem, but a lot of the popular fish, especially the tetras are , from what I read, better in low light conditions.

Could you suggest what fish species would prefer bright lights?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'm not really sure there are any t.b.h. that actually prefer bright light...but if you wanted to make do with what you have: plenty of plants, a substrate that isn't colored like your aunt betty's pearls and some additional decor/cover and they should be fine unless they spend all their time at the top of the tank. You could even consider some sort of floating plant like sprite or anarachis or duckweed. Though I'm not sure how any of those would handle 10wpg from point blank so to speak.

With that kind of wattage for a 30gal you're going to need adequate ferts and CO2 for your plants.

A darker substrate will reflect less light back at the fish, especially bottom dwellers - most of which are very irritated by bright light.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Thanks for the advice. I do have dark soil on the bottom and a yeast based CO2 system

3 posts