Rams Had babies`

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bonese

by bonese

Im going to move the majority of my community fish to a new planted tank this way the rams have there comfortable surrondings. Im going to keep about 3 rummynose with them just so they have something to fight off. I dont want to loose the mated pair so i figure just leave them in there.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Sounds like a plan. :-) Make sure to turn the filter down to the lowest setting so there is less water movement. Also, you need to cover the intake of your filter. I just use a piece of netting or a panty hose to cover it, then hold it on with a rubber band. The suction will pull the fry right in it. The water movement will cause the food to leave them before they can fill up.

bonese

by bonese

I put everyone from the community into a 10 gallon holder for now, its a bit crowded but it wont be long. I left 7 rummy's and 2 neon's with the rams just so i didnt loose the pair. I think if i keep something for them to fight in order to protect there eggs it will make the bond stronger. There are more and more white eggs popping up anywhere from 10 - 20 but the majority is still fertile.

Im thinking tomorrow well start to see some free swimmers. How long should i keep the free swimmers with the parents?
My plan was to use the tank that i moved the others to after this spawn to house the babies and the mated pair is that a alright idea? or should i just keep them in the enviorment there comfortable with. It is a bigger tnak but it would only be the two of them in the smaller one.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

If they are still in egg stage it will be another 5 days or so before they start to swim. They should start hatching today or tomorrow. Then will be wigglers in a pile the parents put them in for another 4 days after they hatch.

If I were you I would catch a bunch after they become free swimming and put them alone in the small tank. If you try putting the parents in with them they will most likely freak and eat the fry. The first day they swim they are very weak and hover on the ground, right below the parents, its the second or 3rd day I catch some. By then they can swim good enough to find the food in the net.

The only fry I have had make it is the ones that I separated from the parents and put in a very small space for 3 weeks, like my breeders net. All the others slowly starved to death because they could not find enough food in a big tank, even a 10 gallon. These babies are as tiny as a pin head and very fragile. If you can get some to make it to 3 weeks, those are the ones that will make it. I picked out 10 dead ones from the net yesterday, it happens. The ones who do make it are the strong/smart ones.

If you are going to set a tank up with just them, do so after this is over. Like I said, they will eat the fry because they either forgot, or are freaked out and feel there is a threat to them and the young.

Here is a link to my photobucket site. Its my Ram folder. On the left you will see the sub-folders of my different spawns. There are video's and pics of all the stages of what happens.
http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd35 ... an%20Rams/

bonese

by bonese

So this morning i wsa hungover. I looked at the rams, Their not on the wood. I thught i was still drunk so i went back to sleep woke up again and they still werent there. They mother is over the spot still fanning, the father is patroling the perimeter, theres 7 rummynose and 2 neons with them, did they eat the eggs? or move them to the substrate?

There are no indents or pits in my substrate and i can not find te eggs anywhere, any suggestions? or did i loose the eggs and nw should i move them to there own tank.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

If they are still hovering over a spot, the eggs have hatched and the wigglers are somewhere below the parent doing the hovering/fanning! Congrats! Thats a bummer that the eggs hatched while you were gone or sleeping. Its fun to watch them help the wigglers hatch. Sometimes its hard to see the wigglers because of where they put them. They may have chosen a natural indent in the wood or something to use as a pit. From what I see in your pic, most likely they dug a small pit right up against the wood. Mine put their wigglers against a rock or dig a pit right underneath a plant. I guess its that extra protection. With my first batch they used a pit in a lava rock. It was in the far back corner and I could not see anything. The lady at the LFS told me if they are still hovering/fanning/protecting then the fry are still there and alive. Don't be surprised if they move them around a few times in the next 3 days. Mine will make 3-4 different spots and move them back and forth. This time the spots were next to a rock, under a small sword plant and right under my small piece of driftwood. My favorite was when the mama dug a pit right up against the glass in front, I could watch them grow. :-)

So, now the wait to see the wigglers swim. From spawn to free swimming takes 7 days. That is the time frame mine take, always. Now is the time to turn up the heat too. The fry are more likely to survive if the tank is 80-82 degrees. Its also the time to get that BBS if you have not yet. As soon as you see the fry start to swim is when you need to start squirting it into their swarm. I would say probably Tuesday is when they will start to swim. If you are going to remove some it will probably be Weds or Thursday.

Again, Congrats!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

So? Where are we with the eggs/fry? Have you seen the wigglers yet?

Rams Had babies`

17 posts • Page 2 of 2