Is Glass or Acrylic better?

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I was just offered another tank, its a bit closer to me, but its an acrylic tank. I have only had one, a small 5 gallon and I know they scratch real easy.

If you had a choice, glass or acrylic??

These are the two I am trying to decide on.

Hit reply on the top of this message and you will see them

The glass is the top one, the acrylic the bottom. Which one would you take? I worry about all the digging and the big rocks in the African tank scratching it up.
9fa54-DSCF6172.jpg
48a5d-acrylic%20tank.jpg

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Oppps the Acrylic one didn't show in the post above, lets try here. Hit reply to see it.
f8045-acrylic.jpg

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Hi dizzcat...we've got 2 glass tanks and 1 acrylic and I reckon the glass tanks definately look nicer.

Yes acrylic does scratch easier but provided you do your tank work with care, this wont be a problem. The cichlids digging wont scratch the acrylic.

Its a only a personal preference really but I just reckon that there is something clearer and more sparkly about a glass tank.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Oh and also...out of the two tank pics you posted - the glass one looks like a nicer and better tank already.

zambize

by zambize

It's hard to say really. I've got both. My acrylic is a 29 gallon SeaClear tank and I get compliments on it all the time...it is really sharp looking. I think much depends on the quality of the acrylic.

Zambize

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i was all ready to buy an 8 foot 200 gal acrylic tank and i was scared as hell over the scratches i could and probably would put in it, but it was a psychotic good deal, all fell through when i had to replan the living room in the new house and now i don't have room for an 8 foot tank

since im going to have to pay regular full price on a 150 gallon tank now - -its going to be glass - so i guess in my opnion, a free or really cheap acrylic tank is a good tank, but dollar for dollar i'd go with glass

the guy i was going to buy the big tank from has an 8 foot acrylic 300gal in his kitchen {saltwater} and its incredably beautiful, but his maintinence is twice as teadious because of the care he has to take but in his case ---WELL worth the extra time

the 200 gallon 8 foot is still for sale if anyone wants a deal on a brand new never wet tank, still in the plastic - he paid 2800 for it and then immeadiately upgraded to the 300 {same brand} and has had this one in the basement on the pallet for 2 years - - 1500 plus shipping to you takes it {its a UNI-QUARIUM, clear for life}

Boss

6 posts