Newbie here hoping to learn

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

This is how I set up my 29 gallon fish tank and my 55 gallon fish tank. I used gold fish there cheap and very hard to kill . I would let these fish go that you have now. I then would clean it very good to get rid of all disease. I would fill it back up with water. I would run gold fish through for about 2 weeks, I believe this is very good natural way to get a tank going, then when your done with the golf fish return to store you bought them from :) . Then after 2 weeks with gold fish then start SLOWLY getting the fish you would like one by one to see how they are.

The biggest advise is not worry about the other chemicals but worry about ammonia , if high do a water change other try not to do a water change but once each other weekend or something or you don't give good bacteria time to catch up and do it's job.

I don't like chemicals if i don't need them but the ich is one thing I would treat right away.

And another thing make sure to accept your learning about keeping fish it's tuff at first because of all the different answers. But like i said all chemicals should be okay because the ammonia any thing extra I never check in the year I had fish. I did water changes once every 3 weeks. and changed filters every 6 weeks. If you have a lot of fish in little tank then do more.

hope this helps feel free to ask more questions

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

welcome to the hobby Todd..............i agree with everyones post so far, dont let a few bumps in the road discurage you.............hell if it makes you feel any better i blew up about 700 bucks wrth of investment in my salt tank the first time i set it up.........di a complete tear down an re set up, cycled it after joining this site and have been bullet proof for the most part ever since ............your in a good place with good people here - -keep on keepin on bud

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i agree.... i have easily put myself into some big f*ck up positions involving my tank and i have gotten out of every single one of them thanks to the people on this site. If somehow i messed up on something that i failed to ask in the first place on here, than the problem that i end up with is able to be solved by at least one person on this site. Funny thing is theres prolly only 20 people that consistently post on this site haha. BTW i suspended my light fixture from the ceiling and some drywall ended up in my tank, about a pinch full with ur fingers, is that a problem???

jweb

by jweb

just take your time and make sure you know what you are doing before you do it. there is always something more to learn in this hobby, so keep searching for info and do the best that you can with what you got.

Tod748678

by Tod748678

Well I can't get rid of the fish...only two left. I am going to try and keep them alive, but if they die I will clean it all up and start over...fishless cycle on the tank.

some1fishy

by some1fishy

Hi Todd,
You've been finding all sorts out the hard way. A big thing I've learned is to buy from a local pet store that has people who are interested in the hobby also. They will help you choose fish that go together well, and often have healthier fish. A lot of newbies buy from Wal mart, and not that ALL walmarts are bad, but it seems they don't really know how to take care of thier tanks to begin with. When you're buying fish ANYWHERE, look at the other fish in the tank. Don't buy if the fish are pale, have fins or tails that seem frayed, or have white spots, even the tiniest white spots. You usually get to choose. Go for the fat active ones, but not if they're too agressive. Hope that helps a bit. also, don't buy if the tank has black algea in it. It's near impossible to get rid of. Good Luck!

Newbie here hoping to learn

16 posts • Page 2 of 2