what would happen if.........

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

ive done research and have read and been told by different sources that a condy anemone and a bubble tip anemone can get along in the same habitat. then ive been told that they will go after each other.
which is true? does anyone have first hand experience or know anyone that does?

TheCoralReef

by TheCoralReef

i know first hand! i had a condy loctus and a green bubbletip anemone in the same 38 gallon tank with no issues what so ever. my bubbletip actually tore himself in half in this tank so i ended up with two bubbletips, and from what ive read anemones dont ussually do this unless their 100% satisfied with their environment

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

hmf. interesting. thanks. now i can go and get some. thx

gumbii

by gumbii

not true...

in a reef you will never see mixed types of anemone's... why..? because they use chemical warefare... they always throw a phermone to attract clowns... so if one detects the other they start throwing chemicals that will either keep them from growing, or actually doing away with the other nem...

and splitting isn't always a sign of a happy anemone... my LFS always gets alot of nems in the same tank... the shock of overstocking causes a spike and some of the anemone's start to split... that's because of the changing fluctuating conditions...

a happy anemone will stay put in one spot and grow LARGE!!... sometimes they will get smashed under a rock and they will split in two... or more... it depends on conditions... why would a happy anemone destroy the ability for it to eat for a week or two... also all of the exposed meat is a way for bacteria to get in there...

i would vise against it... especially in a closed invoronment like an aquarium...

4 posts