sand substrate and rocks for pleasure

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

he must have taken the slate out but heres his profile and you can see the sand anyway........................he took tank safe silicon and coverd some PVC pipe and rolled it in dry sand to cover those "hidey holes" for his fish

his tank is 29 gallons als and he put 1 1/2 bags of sand in, so you can see what that would look like too

i wish the pics were workin so we could see your project
Boss

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i just redid my 55 with sand what i did is but the sand in filled it up with water stired it up real good then took the python fill and drain thing and faccumed it just like i normally do with gravel...... empied it filled and stired again emptied 1 more time and filled once more and it was good to go.......that way i could wash it all at once anstead of just a little at a time i used play sand from home depot $3 a bag i used 3 bags.....

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Why does everyone think Dizz is a "he"? LOL I'm a GIRL! at least last time I checked lol.

I bought the play sand at Home Depot for $2.98 for a 50 pound bag. I used a big cup and stirred the crap out of small bits at a time. I took all week, doing some here and there, but it was so worth doing such small amounts because the next day my water was crystal clear! And no dust after a water change either. Cichlids love sand, they stick thier noses into it and shake their whole bodies, shoveling, it sending up a huge puff of sand. Or grab mnouthfuls and spit it somewhere else. So fun to watch!

Those rocks (river stones) I picked up from a church lot. I went to the spot farthest from any cars or anything, grabbed a bunch of medium sided ones. I brought them home, scrubbed them, then boiled them. Dumped the water and boiled them again. I did that about 4 times.

I have since changed to Lava/Lace rock tho because the river stone caves got too small for the fish. I get my rock at the same lfs as Miami. Just got $20 worth last weekend. I do what he does, grab a piece every time I am in there. I bought a bunch of pieces that are in an arch shape to make better caves. Here's an updated pic of my tank took last weekend. Still going to get more rocks.
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php/24737

jweb

by jweb

I have a 29 or 30 gallon and a 25 lb bag of sand is a bit too much. Only use about 15-20 lbs.

vwfan79

by vwfan79

Dizzy your tank tank is looking really good.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Dizz.............i might add and i hope not to late

we learned the hard way that you need to shorten the filter intake a feww inches at least because like you said Cichlids do like to play in the sand and sand will trash a filter pump in a matter of seconds ..............hope this helps

Boss

sand substrate and rocks for pleasure

16 posts • Page 2 of 2