Cyanobacteria

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

it is also known as ricca if you cand find it, it is awsome a great oxyginator and a pretty bright green....... man if you woulda said something a few weeks ago i woulda mailed you some i just sold off all of mine

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

no prob, I think the sprite will do just fine and since its floating it probably wont fall prey to the mats blocking the light out of all the rest of my plants.
What about the shrimp?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

BGA is still going ever-so strong, but I read an account online where someone had completely blacked their tank out with a thick sheet for 5 full days and completely eliminated it. Also that a lack of nitrates may have brought on the epidemic. Though I'm coming up on 20ppm now...I guess the trick is to make it stop photosynthesizing and only give it the opportunity to come back when there is a greater concentration of nitrates..time will tell. -.-

So I guess I'll put w/c's on hold and try blacking it out (except for feeding) for a full 5 days.

Previously I just had the main light turned off and the moonlights running at night which seemed to stop it from spreading at least..

Most people eliminated with maracyn, or something called chemi-clean but I understand these could harm my inverts.

I think I'll take a picture tomorrow am before i start the blackout process...it looks so freaking horrible. Luckily my fishies still don't seem to mind...

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah all of thoes chems contain copper..... copper = death on inverts....hope you have some luck man i am in process of setting my tank up again......i will get some pics up as soon as we get internet at the new house

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

it seems the blackout is working. on the 4th day now and I pulled off the sheets today to feed my fish to reveal no signs of cyano (as best I can tell) all the thick mats are gone, and no green sitting on my substrate out front. I didn't turn the lights on, but it looked as though my water was really cloudy. I'm guessing the die-off of all the cyano (there was a freaking ton) is causing a different kind of bac to go crazy. I'm gonna fire up the lights tomorrow and hope this stuff is gone for good. =D

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

removed carbon, lights are on...5 days in the black and now 6 days with lights on and the cyano is still gone. Blackout worked wonderfully. =D Most of my vals melted/are melting and my foreground dwarf hairgrass and microsword were wiped out...but I have a few stragglers that should work to fill things out again--hopefully. =D

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

As though it were some sort of unmentionable STD I thought I had banished by mass amounts of prescribed medication in the form of a 5 day full blackout (this is not spoken from experience folks) my affliction (BGA---cyanobacteria) has mysteriously returned over the past week.

Although it came back much slower, and was barely noticable at first...its creeping its way right back into a chokehold on the remaining flora in my tank. I've continued to maintain throughout all this nitrates at roughly 15ppm, since many sources suggested that low nitrates may bring on such an epidemic. The only change since the blackout was introducing some anarachis to try to soak some nutrients if indeed an excess of just that was causing the breakout of BGA. In any case, I'm rather irritated.

There was no evidence of any visible BGA for nearly 7 days after the blackout. It produces so many oxygen bubbles (many become trapped under its slimy layers) I wonder if my CO2 is even giving my plants a reason to grow at all. Incidentally the anarachis has not yet been covered by it.

I'm so frustrated I don't even want to look at the thing anymore except to feed my fish.

I should probably mention I also fill a shotglass with water from my 16gal to thaw frozen bloodworms in. I feed half to my puffers in my 16gal and then roughly once a week give the scraps to the fish in my 30gal. The BGA is nowhere in sight in the larger tank, so there's must be something about the chemistry of my 16gal thats causing the BGA to take hold in it and not the 30gal.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well I finally broke down and got some chems. I moved my inverts out of the 16 into my 30 and dosed ultra-life BGA remover twice ($14 for a tiny powder tube UGH) in 48 hours. All visible BGA was gone after the first 12 hours of treatment. The stuff is still completely gone...along with most of my plants, but I'm happy to say I can get near my tank again without having to hold my breath. lol

Cyanobacteria

18 posts • Page 2 of 2