protien skimmer

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

mralanjones

protien skimmer

by mralanjones

I am about to buy a red sea prizem pro protien skimmer off ebay. I was wondering if this would be a good choice. it is rated for aquariums up to 225 gallons. I have a 55 gallon. So I think it would work. just want to make sure. I will be putting it on the back of my tank. Also any ideas for a good canister. I was looking at the fluval 404

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I wanted a prizm as well but decided against it after hearing it wasnt worth the money. Poor performance for the price is what I was told.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i used a prizm.{a used one} on my 20 gal for almost a year and loved it, the only reason i took it off was i went with a rapids pro filter and got rid of all the HOB stuff............its downstairs on a shelf and i will definately use it again

as far as a 55 gal tank goes, it might be pusing the limits depending on you bio load...but i loved it for the money

Boss

mralanjones

by mralanjones

what do you mean by the bio load. sorry new the the hobby. Even if it is for 220 gallons

schigara

by schigara

I hate to burst your bubble but that little prizm "pro" will barely skim a 30g tank even when trimmed out and running at peak performance. Their claim of "up to 225g" is absolutely ludicrous and harmful to those that might believe that BS.

Look into ASM or Octopus skimmers. I don't believe in non-sump reef tanks or HOB skimmers, they both suck. A good skimmer will cost a bare minimum of $150-$175.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

again shig is correct, in my opinion octopus, but im byass as i have one

protien skimmer

6 posts