Brine shrimps

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gonzaimaki7563

Brine shrimps

by gonzaimaki7563

Question:
My LFS are selling brine shrimps, he said that i must hatch it before feeding it to my tank.
If i were to hatch them they will be very tiny little shrimps, right?
So tiny, then how do i feed them to the tank, can i just pour them in? Im worried that they would be only washed away by the current and went straight to my sub-tank below or my fish would get to them first before any of my corals get a hand on them.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You just feed your tank. Everything will devour those babys....One batch of brine for me will feed for three days. Roughly. Corals will take them in. My corals eat that stuff UP! lovin it! You should certainly give it a try. I use a turkey baster to draw the shrimp out of the bottom and spot feed my corals....left over food floats around and continues to feed. EVERYTHING will go crazy for these!

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I agree those things are so easy to farm, and the tank loves them corals included.

gonzaimaki7563

by gonzaimaki7563

how to cultivate them? can i propagate brine shrimps, how can i do that. thanks

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I will set mine back up tonight and get it running again. I only cultivate them once every two weeks to feed. Theres really no need for me to do it more than that with my refugium. I bought the kit...but if you dont have the kit its the same general concept. Get a air pump and an airstone and a two liter bottle. Cut the top off the two liter bottle....pour in water but leave maybe about an inch to 3 inches until the top. put the air stone at the bottom of the bottle and fill it with water. Put in a teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs and two teaspoons of salt. Table salt will work fine. Turn on the pump and come back in two days. BAM....shrimp. turn off the pump and put a flashlight at the bottom of the bottle. This will bring the shrimp to the bottom and the eggs to the top wait about five minutes to let them seperate and then pull the brine from the bottom where the light is bringing them to with a turkey baster. Feed your tank. :) For a video google videos (search) brine shrimp hatching

gonzaimaki7563

by gonzaimaki7563

thanks, after separating brines with the empty eggs, where can I put them? can they stay alive for atlest a week with airstone? Or shall I put them on a separate tank.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I dont see why not......Sounds pretty cool to me. They are still alive in my sump.....from two weeks ago. I dont see why not......They would probably live in your tank for a week to be honest.

djsnowman06

Re: Brine shrimps

by djsnowman06

im looking at those hatcheries for shrimp . the ones u put in ur tank and shrimp just come out ... but im wondering how the saltwater stays in ? it says for salt or fresh uselol will this mess up my little 15 gal tank?

Brine shrimps

8 posts