Sump set up?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

ER_RN

Sump set up?

by ER_RN

I recently bought a 95g wave front reef tank...I am new to installing and configuring sumps...My quesiton is the tank came with materials to configure the sump, but also a canister fitler. The ways I have the plumbing ran now is from the overflow box into a 20g below the tank then the protein skimmer then to the canister filter that has UV sterlizer then back to the 20g then pumped back to the tank...Does this configuration should good or should I do something different? If I shouldn't use the canister filter what media do I use to filter my tank? Also the light that I got with the tank is a 750watt light with 2 metal halides and 4 power compact and 6 blue moon lights...the MH's pull in seperate so I hooked the two converter box up to them individually and both lights came on, but on started smoking where the plug joined to the converter burning the metal prongs of the plug...any suggestions on fixing this would be greatly appreciated also.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

your setup sounds good that's exactly how my sump operates. as far as the plug goes, it may have been a bad contact and the active or neutral may have drawn an arc across the plug making a crack noise even smoking. MH need a high start up current, usually 7-10 times the running AMPs. did it destroy the plug???????

ER_RN

by ER_RN

Thanks is there any way you can put some pictures on here so I can get some tweeking ideas..is your set-up very loud?...Yeah the male plug got damaged that runs from the light the electric ballast female plug is still good...I thought about just trying to replace the plug, but concerned about the high voltage and my electric skills!

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

well im an electrician. not much involved, just snip the lead off and buy a new one from the hardware shop. not sure bout USA setup, but should be the same,as they try to keep everything to an international standard. looking at the plug the pin on the left should be the active pin and the one on the right the neutral. just make a nice firm connection into the back of the terminals. Not sure if your plugs have an earth pin on bottom of plug. we do.. need ur email to send pics of my setup, because they don't show up on post.

ER_RN

by ER_RN

Thanks I will try that...my e-mail is danielnailor@charter.net

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

if you run a sump and over flow, i have some things to help reduce noise, will show in pics. going out soon but will post asap.

Sump set up?

6 posts