Reef supplements

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

What salt mix r u using now? If you are using Instant Ocean, most likely you have low calcium like 340-370 and high alkalinity of about 11-13dkh. and possibly low mag of about 900-1100. Reef crystals is good but , IMO, is still too high in alkalinity.

No. Strontium supplements are not necessary.

Kalkwasser is just the German word for limewater which is calcium hydroxide mixed in water or pickling lime mixed in water. It is not needed unless you have a ton of coralline algae or sps corals that are consuming ca and alk quickly. Kalkwasser(limewater) is just a very cheap way of doing what a 2 part, like B-Ionic does.

Nori is just seaweed. It comes in flat sheets and usually packaged and purchased under the Julian Sprung name.

Polyps(even non-photosynthetic coral have polyps) and Xenia are photosynthetic and do not require specific feedings like anemones or sun corals or dendro's. About the only non-photosynthetic corals you will find at the local fish store are the tubastrea(sun coral) and the dendrophylia sp?

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Hi guys
corals grown 5 x faster,

First I go out to my back fridge, and get 2 blocks of my magic home made mix.
This consists of raw seafood, shrimp, squid, octopus etc. then some nori from the Japanese sushi roll things, some brine, spirulena, bloodworms, some microscopic stuff, not sure of the name, some flake foods, some pellets foods, and most important GARLIC CLOVES CRUSHED.......Really defends the fish against ICH AND VELVET.
Blend that batch up real fine in a food processor, then put it in a ICE CUBE TRAY, and refreeze.

So two blocks of that I use. Also while I'm in the freezer 1 whole shrimp (prawn)

Let that defrost - This gives me a good opportunity to check some of my gear out, like my skimmer and general system stuff

Once food is defrosted, I turn all power heads and pumps off. This allows foods to stay suspended in the water longer.
Using a large syringe, suck up all of the defrosted foods, this may take a couple of goes with a smaller syringe.
Tip - don't use a huge syringe as it makes it hard to hold with one hand.
Slowly squirt syringe into the mouth area of the coral to be fed.
As you can see the coral closes down over the food in pics, stuffing themselves to make them big and strong.
My fish love this feed time and come from everywhere to indulge in the festival.
With sun corals do them last. This will give them time to realize there is food about.
By the time you do everything else they will be out and waiting
Eels and anemones
Hold the prawn or shrimp against the tentacles of the anemone, occasionally wiggling it like a fish fitting.
This stimulates the anemone, and makes it react, grasping at the food, usually very quickly.
Only use your fingers as other objects may hurt or damage the sides of the anemone.
As you can see giving all corals a squirt helps, pictures show them swelling, instead of closing over the food
Even mushrooms benefit. As you can see, their mouths are sticking out ready to catch foods floating by.
Every coral IMO will benefit from this feeding, as it is suspended in the water for ages. I generally leave everything off for about 1 hour, so everyone gets some tucker.
After about an hour I turn everything except return pump. This will stir everything up again. Like going back for seconds LOL.
After half an hour or so of turning on pumps, everything is cleaned up and back to normal. and i turn sump back on.
ce1fe-017.jpg
7bc6d-022-Copy.jpg
7f589-036.jpg
19964-101.jpg
3cb2f-057.jpg

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok so im pretty sure between schig and puff ill never have an unanswered question. Ok so ive got like 4 rocks that are completely covered and since i got my MH going the coraline growth has exploded in my tank, within 2 weeks rock that had no corline growing on it now has at least a large spot of pink or even a quarter sized piece of deep purple on it, not to mentino that my glass at the bottom seems to be growing it like weed. Which is very tough to get off at the bottom of my tank.

As for the nem im haing success handfeeding it with silversides every 2 days or so... even tho i still do it handfeeding makes me nervous, i can just see myself being allergic to the what nemocytes is what theyre called??

OK puff where do you get the seafood, squid and octopus , and what is spirunula?

as far as the nori, does it benefit most all reef fish or is it mainly tangs that nibble on it?

What test kits do you use, i just have the 4 main tests for nitrate, trite, ph, ammonia and i think its aquarium pharmaseutacles?? not really srue thats just what it says at the bottom of the bottles. What test kits/ brands do yall use?

When acclimating corals put them at the bottom of the tank and put window screen on the top? remove 1 layer a day?

gumbii

by gumbii

i like kent products... but all i use is the kalkwasser... that's it...

all of the trace elements and other stuff is allready mixed in the salt... the best thing to do is to get a salt that is closer to the ocean... i use red sea coral pro salt... but soon i'm going to switch to d d from fragglereef.com... that's the best supposedly...

also... if you do frequent waterchanges you won't need to add stuff like stronium and other crap... and DO NOT DOSE UNLESS YOU HAVE A TEST KIT AND THE TANK NEEDS SOME!!!!!!!!...

seriously... if you're just dosing iodine and you can't test it you could be poisoning your tank... also calcium...

i feed my corals rod's coral food... and for the SPS i feed oyster eggs at night when the polyps are really extended... spot feeding is the key...

i have something to say about watts per gallon but i think i'll make a thread about it...

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

just go to the fish co op and buy them raw straight from the ocean. get 100grams of an assortment of things. blend it all up. nori is good for them all because they all eat it. spirulina is like a species of brine i think.

Reef supplements

15 posts • Page 2 of 2