metal halide

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

Very normal. I lose about 2 gallons a day. Evaporation is a good thing, especially when using kalkwasser in the auto topoff reservoir. The more water evaps, the more kalk gets added. Works well.

No longer do I have to use 2 part ca and alk. Kalkwasser(limewater) takes care of it and the pickling lime only costs about $1 a month.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

ok i dident read the rest so forgive me i i repeat some one. i did the same thing with my 75g. set the timers to run to florectents normoly. the halids stert running them for 2 or 3 hours incresing by 1 hour a week that way you dont have to move anything and the corals can git yoused to the higher intencty of lighting.

TheCoralReef

by TheCoralReef

definitly only run the new MH bulbs for 3 hrs a day, brand new halides will burn the shit outta things if they are running for more than 3 hrs a day. 14 watts per gallon is a little crazy, especially with MH so i would worry more about the duration, 2-3 hrs a day gradually increasing, but i wouldnt keep it on for more than 6-7 hrs a day once u break it in. wat type of corals do you keep? sps,lps,softies?

memphis

by memphis

its not the kind. i look for color so it can be any kind

schigara

by schigara

Memphis,

What fixture did you buy? What MH bulbs are in that fixture?

memphis

by memphis

Odyssea 48" 760 Watt Metal Halide Lighting System
2-250 watt DE HQI metal halide bulbs 15000k, 4-65 watt 03 actinics, 6 dual LED moonlights

schigara

by schigara

That is a nice fixture. With 260 of those watts being power compacts, I would not worry much about w/gallon overkill. The watt per gallon rule is a very bad and inaccurate rule.

Watt for Watt, a PC bulb produces very little PAR compared to a Halide bulb and halide bulbs vary greatly in the amount of PAR produced by what type, brand, and K rating.

You have 2 250w DE halides. All those PC bulbs equal 260W but don't even come close to producing the PAR of just one of those halides.

I would agree that the Halides should be run no longer than 6-7 hours per day.

It's up to you how to acclimate to the new light and everything mentioned so far is sound advice.

1. Reduce photoperiod to 2-3 hrs per day and add an hour each week until you reach 6 or 7 hrs per day.

2. Keep a photoperiod of 6-7 hours and raise the light to about 18-24inches above water and then lower the fixture a few inches per week.

3. Maintain 6-7 hr period and height of 7-12in above surface and use a series of diffusers in between the light and tank and remove one diffuser a week until they have all been removed.

You are not dealing with 760w of intense grow light. You have 500w of intense grow light and 260w of aesthetic light.

metal halide

17 posts • Page 2 of 2