disaster preparations

7 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

blueshoes2208

disaster preparations

by blueshoes2208

ok so i dont have hte best power in the world over here and this time of the year it goes out usually about once every two weeks in storm seasons, most of hte time for about 2 - 3 hours , sometimes it can go out for 9 or 10 hours but what can i do to help my tank in that time? What is the concern with no power and a salt fish tank?

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

fire up that generator! lol. if u were around here i'd recommend renting one from Home Hardware, i'd give u my discount! lol

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

haha unfortunately i make 7.30 hr i cant afford a generator..

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i just went through 5 days with no power - - -but i do have a generator - - -

a couple hours i wouldn't worry to much about - - -more than 4 hours look in walmart in the fishing section and get a couple bait tank battery powered air pumps and add some air stones to it for O2 and moveing the water some......................you can literally stir the tank with your hands every once in a while

through a thick blanket over the tank to conserve the heat

UPS - -pricee but sweet {uninterupted power supply} it's a big battery back up, you can run a couple power heads even a small HOB filter for quit a few hours depending on the size UPS you get - - -but they can run anywhere from 100 to 500 bucks - - - - you almost bought a small generator....lol

believe it or not your heater is gonna eat the most power, so try to keep the tank closed and covered as much as possable to save that warm water - - -my tank went down to 52 degrees before i got my generator going - - - all i killed was the red algae that was plagueing me ....lol {i got lucky}

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I have a ups on a koralia......kicks in even if im not home....I dont have to worry about temp.....coldest it gets around here is 60s-70s. Next week some time im going to test the UPS to see how much time I can get out of it with just my powerhead. Ill post results next week when they come about. :)

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i think im going to sneak over across the street when it goes out and plug in an extension cord to someone elses house for power haha our block is the only one in town that ever goes out.... its total bs

fihsboy

by fihsboy

that sucks bro. Im trying to talk my mom into a home generator 2 grand...but it will power EVERYTHING in the house for a couple of days. pretty sick.

disaster preparations

7 posts