help with sea anemone

28 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

schig you and your corals... i gotta go look all those up now haha i must note that my nem eats like a monster and im pretty srue my coral beauty is venturing too close and its about to get stung. Friday im going to pick up a cleaner shrimp , hopefully it doesnt die, i dont think i have a copper problem because all my crabs lived, only a few snails died but idk why they did in the first place. Might get a yellow tang as well or maybe a bicolor pseudo not srue yet

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i think your loading pretty fast blue................thats just my opinion i dont wanna step on your toes here ..............just becareful bud

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah dude. Trust me.........in 9 months......when your tank is complete........your going to be begging to be able to buy something...Wait atleast two weeks between specimens.....it keeps you wanting more........When i buy corals......i buy the smallest frag I can, gives me more to watch. Thats why all my pictures look like I dont have any corals........Plus you always have to have room for a deal. :) like my lfs asked me to lend a hand.......I did for 15-20 minutes and I got a FREE birdsnest frag today. :) Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. BUT when I was helping I fell in love with a deep water acropora.....70 bucks......worth it guys?

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

2 weeks betweens specimens? really?? i has told 6wks. no matter what i added b/c it would mess the whole cycle up and the bacteria needed time to re-cooperate etc. how much success did you have?? im assuming lots if you are still doing it.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i would agree with 6 weeks more than 2 for sure ................it took almost a year for my tank to baance completely ...............and thats with 2 clowns and some crabs {20 gallon tank} but now she's pretty rock solid...................when i started the first time i was adding stuff every week like i was on crack.......lol and i chased crazy swings until the tank detonated and i had a total lose . . . . . so patience is the key my friend .....................it's worth it all in the end

i would almost say 3 weeks per inch of specimin added easily for a rule of thumb.....i have nothing to base that on other than opinion and logic in my mind

Boss

gumbii

by gumbii

first of all... you should of done your homework before buying anything...

the natural host for BTA are premna's... as in maroons and such... amphibipron's are pretty much picky on what kind of nems they will host in... they are going to need like a H. crispa or H. magnifica...

another thing... you wouldn't want a clown to host in your tank since you have different breeds in the tank going on at once... the dominant one would end up killing the other one for the anemone... unless you have like a 180g tank to have three species of clowns all hosting something...

and another thing... the hosting ability of a anemone fish is genetic... i remember someone put a link about those tank raised after a couple of generations of being tank bred they will still sniff out an anemone in the dark and host in it...

research my friend...

as for the nems... as long as they don't bleach out and shrivle up they are fine... they can and will go months if not longer without eating meaty foods... thier main source of food is light...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

haha Well.....2 weeks between is a LOT better than a few days between. :) Just sayin. Ive been building mine to where it is for a year now......time flies. I still feel like I have a lot to do. But I have figuered out you need to wait and buy what you REALLY want. Dont buy on impulse.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

great info Gumbii.............................how goes it ol boy??? im finally building my house and still planning on a large tank room divider ..........the wife hasn'e erased it off the plans yet ......lol

Boss

gumbii

by gumbii

my friend is trying to get a divider tank as well... i'm trying to talk him out of it...

you can't hide stuff in those tanks... and you know how some LR has a good side... well you aren't going to be able to see the rock or even corals on either side of the tank from one side... that, and some fish are jerks... they might only stay on one side of the tank and you'll never see him from one side of the tank... fail...

but oh well... to each thier own... if it makes you happy boss go ahead... but make a thread about the build...

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ehhh after readin some on here again im thinkin bout returning my anthias. Thats 120 bucks worth of fish so it would be some nice store credit, i think if i do that im still going to keep the pseudo, hes awesome ha and 14 bucks at that.
As far as the nem goes i just liked the black and white oscellaris more than any of the other clowns in being that everyone already has an orange and white one and i like to b different, didnt really find one that was compatable with the black and white so i jus figured id try a BTA in being that theyre supposed to host more of the species than any other nem.
I jus get in the store and im like $$$$$$$$ i wanted a lil scooter blenny sooo bad but i dont have an algae probelm OR a copepod population so i decided not to. The anthias were really the only fish i didnt do alot of research on & for as much as they cost not really gettin the "bang for the buck"

help with sea anemone

28 posts • Page 2 of 3