A little brackish?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DarinJay

A little brackish?

by DarinJay

I noticed that at PetSmart in Westlake OH (who have some of the cleanest and healthiest fish and aquariums I've ever seen) they keep a bit of salt mix in with the tropical freshwater fish. Does this help with the fish? The aquarium itself? Algae? I have Danios, Tetras, a shark, a cichlid and mollies in there now. Is this something to consider. I just don't know what the Pros would be.

D

burgerking

by burgerking

marine salt helps fight FW viruses and infections. Though you dont have to, alot of people just add salt if one of your fish becomes sick. I doubt the amount of salt added is enough to be measured so it really souldnt be a big deal. Mollies do thrive in brackish setups IMO, but can still live full and happy lives in freshwater.

kelbri

by kelbri

We had our mollies a few years ago in just regular old freshwater. Lived a long and happy life. My wife, when she was younger, would always add in a bit of salt to her freshwater, no matter what she was keeping... mollies, guppies, goldfish... She never had a problem.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I believe what you're talking about is actually sold as aquarium salt or ''conditioning'' salt specifically for freshwater aquariums. What it -can- do is enhance fishes slime coat, replenish electrolyes, prevent various bacterial and parasitic infections, and reduce stress. I'm pretty sure it doesn't raise the specific gravity in a way that would be needed by brackish fish or saltwater fish (like marine salt would).

I use it myself as a preventative after every water change, but I always under-dose what the package recommends, since not all fish will tolerate it as well as others. It does however remain in the water even after passing through carbon filtration, so its very important not to add more before doing a water change.

DarinJay

by DarinJay

Thanks for the help. I may try some just for the bacterial and parasitic prevention. A few months ago something hit and killed half of my starter fish. I waited a long time to add new ones but so far they are all doing great.

D

burgerking

by burgerking

That could've been the cycle, if it was cycled it could have been a ton of things.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

One thing you may want to consider before adding salt is the Ph of your water. I've HEARD (and someone please correct me if i'm wrong) that salt will raise the Ph, so if you live in an area with really hard, alkaline water, you might want to avoid salt.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I've never seen any ph swings in any of my tanks when using ''aquarium'' or ''conditioning'' salt. Marine salt is a different matter.
I suppose in very high concentrations the salt they market for freshwater aquariums would alter some params, which is why they come with instructions, and warn that you must remove the previously added concentrations with water changes --- not filtration or evaporation.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

depending on what type of salt it is, depends on if it will raise you PH or not
if it is just normal aquarium salt i should not do anything

DarinJay

by DarinJay

Thanks again for the help.
I'll talk it over with my pet shop down the street. They have good recommendations as well.

A little brackish?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2