Fresh Water tank Lighting - HELP!

4 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

rmcardle8032

by rmcardle8032

I am starting a Freshwater tank, 75 gallon acrylic 48x18x20. Using sand with texas holey rock, red slate and plastic plants. Populated with Malawi cichilds. Have a Fluval FX5 filter, heater, etc.

I need to purchase lighting but too many options. Is there any benefits to lunar/moon lighting with a fresh water tank? Any negatives? Suggestions, comments from experience would help.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Negatives.......your fish will spawn and you will have babies....if thats a negative. Are you going planted? If not just get enough to view your fish. and moonlights are AWESOME to look at through the night. plus it stimulates nature that much more.

rmcardle8032

by rmcardle8032

I am not going with live plants. I mainly wanted the lunar lights for the effect. I would like to breed my fish also so that could be a positive.

I was just worried that the higher output light like the coralife lunar with 4X65W would be harmful to my freshwater tank/fish environment because I know they are made more for saltwater/reefs. I assume more algae would grow though..

Thanks for the input, I am picking up lighting this weekend..

fihsboy

by fihsboy

That would probably give you algae problems.....BUT. You could always run one set of bulbs at a time....maybe replace the actinic that you wont need with some daylights....run one set half the day and the other set the other half the day......It would cut down on needing to replace your bulbs....its all your really need. And your right.....you will LOVE the moon lights. There awesome.

4 posts