40 gal. saltwater filtration setup

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

winco2

by winco2

I am setting up a new saltwater aquarium that has a built-in overflow sump. I have a Fluval 304 that I used when I had a freshwater aquarium that I plan on using. However, the more I read, the more I think I need a protein skimmer. Does it make sense to use both a canister filter and a protein skimmer and if so, how would you plumb it? My thought was to put a free-standing style skimmer inline after the canister, but what about a pump? The canister has a built in pump, but I don't think it has enough power for the skimmer and adding another one to the system may not work well.

Any thoughts?

Thank you. Mike

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

how big of a tank and how big of a sump? you should als run a skimmer. your canister will be good for chemical media . but will not get everything . thats where the skimmer comes into play. your tanks will do way better with one and look better. water quality is is every thing if you cant control nutrients in your tank you will get pissed real fast. prizem skimmers are ok entry level skimmers. and seaclone but they are a pain in the ass . i think i have my old prizem pro skimmer if you are intrested i will try to find it . also you can ditch the canister and install a overflow bag with chemical media inside of it and add your skimmer. hope this helps only my thoughts mike hope it helps and good luck

gotnohaylo

by gotnohaylo

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marsetupindex2.htm CHECK THAT OUT EVERY THING U NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PLUMING AND ALSO VISIT THEREEFTANK.COM VERY VERY HELP FUL WHEN I FIRST STARTED !

3 posts