Christmas Surprise!

24 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

J-Ball, my Rams are in a 20 gallon tank. I have a lot of real plants, drift wood and river stones in there. Rams need plants and such to be happy. They also need something like flat river rocks to use as spawning sites. The pH runs at 7.6. I do nothing special for them, just maintain the tank. They share the tank with a couple small Angels, some Tetras and 2 Dwarf Frogs.

Do not put more than 2 in a 20 gallon, a male and female. They are very territorial and fight each other. I had 2 females and one male when they first spawned. I ended up having to give my LFS the odd female because the fights were getting bad. The male paired up with the larger female and they did not like the odd female in the tank at all. This was even before they spawned. Usually the males territory is the right side and the females is the left. They tolerate all the other fish in their territories unless its spawning time.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Well, its been about 2 weeks since I found my baby's. I moved the ones I had left into a breeders net. I have one left :-( I am thinking this is the little guy that I had a heck of a time catching when I moved them all. He is getting bigger everyday. He seems healthy and strong. I will keep him in the net until he gets a little bigger then let him grow out in the 10 gallon. I have decided that I will keep him because he has gone thru so much in his little life!! When he gets big enough I will put him in with his folks. Right now I need to keep him confined so he can find his food. Plus he's too little, will get munched. He is still only about 1/8 of an inch long. I just feel bad for him all alone :-(

Another lesson learned: once they become free swimming I will scoop up a small batch, put them in the net for a couple weeks then on the 10 gallon to grow out. That way they can get to their food.

I am happy to get at least one little guy out of this to watch grow.

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

THAT IS VERY EXCITING !!!! honestly I love those Rams they are so cute and The last few I have had died..I love them...good luck thank you for sharing !! I had a litter LOL of guppies in my daughters 10 gal tank at xmas time and have not been able to release them yet as momma thinks they are food still.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

NOTE: To see the pictures in these posts you need to click on the reply in the post itself. For some reason the pictures portion of this forum has been messed up.

So, it has been 2 months since I found my wigglers. Only one survived. I do have 10 that I got from another spawn in January. So all was not lost.

This is Jr at 2 months old. He is living with the grown-ups in the big tank. He likes to charge the tetra's all day because they are small like him LOL.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd35 ... CT0019.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd35 ... T00223.jpg

These are some of the Ram fry at 1 month old from my Jan. spawn. They are in the 10 gallon fry tank.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd35 ... CT0004.jpg
ff1a8-PICT0019 (2).JPG
c4786-PICT0022 (3).JPG
bdafa-PICT0004 (3).JPG

Christmas Surprise!

24 posts • Page 3 of 3