Dither fish and Target fish

19 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

alfio

by alfio

To miami754

I was thinking to stick with 1:3 ratio for yellow labs. Maybe get one rusty cichlid? (I don't know if this is a good idea, it would be good for colour diversity)and get target fish. Would I be able to get shell-dwellers also? If so which ones do you reccommend with yellow labs (and perhaps the rusty cichlid)

Thanking you in advanced

Kind Regards,
Alfio

alfio

by alfio

Sorry for the mutliple posts.

The Neolamprologus similis looks good. What do you guys think?

alfio

by alfio

Sorry guys....this is the last one I promise.

I just rang the aquarium and OMG they are so frustrating lol. Firstly they said that the electric blues will be fine because they wont grow large for a while especially in my size tank. Also the fact that they have been brought up since young they wont develop agression towards each other.

In regards to the target/dither fish they said that if they get eaten (high probability) then the cichlids will develop a taste for fish and as a result become more agressive.

They said shell dwellers are a good idea.

Argh soo cunfused lol

This is what i'm thinking.
1) Trade in the electric blues
2) Fix up my yellow lab ratio to 1:3
3) Maybe get some shell dwellers
4) I have no idea about the target / dither fish. They will look nice in the tank but if they get eaten then i'm screwed lol.

Anyways sorry for posting like crazy I just wanted to filll you guys in with all the info. You've been very helpful so thanks a bunch.

Kind Regards,
Alfio

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

No its better you posted a lot than have unanswered q's that result in dead fish.

It wouldnt be a good idea to have mbuna(your labs) and a few little shellies. Though the shellies can hold their own, mbuna are relentless and will outwork the shellies to get what they want. Plus shell swellers are from lake tanganyika, labs are from lake malawi.

If you want shellies, which is a better fit for your tank, I would stick with fish from lake tanganyika and look into some Altolamprologus Calvus/Compressiceps. They would get along better.

HTH BK

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, BK is right - don't mix the shell-dwellers with the mbunas. Either pick one or the other.

As far as your fish store, they sound nuts. Yes, a smaller tank does inhibit the growth to a certain degree, but this is not a good thing. And it doesn't mean they won't eventually outgrow your tank. Also, raising cichlids together since they were young does not mean they won't kill each other when they mature. I have raised plenty of fry together and trust me, they fight when they get old enough. I personally would never listen to another word that fish store says. They just want to make a quick buck and have no idea what they are talking about.

Yeah, I think you would be able to get away with a grouping of yellow labs and a single rusty. The rusty cichlids I have had have always been one of my most mellow mbunas. You'll have to watch them though and make sure your male rusty and male lab don't go at it because they are in such a confined environment. Because your system is smaller, it is important that you are vigilant at watching for this and removing the rusty if problems arise. The benefit of a larger tank is that you have more room for error. You are pushing the limits here with mbunas so your margin for error is very small. You will also need to add some more caves for hiding places in your tank for the yellow females to hide.

alfio

by alfio

Thanks guys. I don't really trust the aquarium anyway.

What do you think about adding zebra danios or australian rainbows as target/dither fish? Do you think they'll get eaten? Do you think if they get eaten it will increase agression?

I cant thank you enough for your replies.

Kind Regards,
Alfio

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well..danios are super speedy but much smaller and more bite-sized than adult rainbowfish. Danios are cheaper but still a bit spendy if you're going to have to replace a few every couple days if you get my meaning. :)

I'm no cichlid buff by any means (my only experience thus far is with GBR's..) However, the part where your LFS employee said your aggressive cichlids may develop an affinity for the little fishy snack does make sense logically, but I'm really not sure how your current stock would react to an adult sized rainbowfish, or a school of them for that matter. Your best bet probably would have been to have them in the tank first --- before introducing juvenile cichlids perfectly ratio-ed out to minimize aggression.

Unfortunately allowing time to mark off territory in the lesser-aggressives doesn't always work. I recently moved my 3 dwarf puffers to my 16 gallon in with some mean little serpae tetras who had been in there for some time. It didn't take long for the puffers (who are less than 1/3 the size of the tetras) to show them who's boss...Needless to say I'm finding a new home for the tetras soon before any serious damage occurs. :(

alfio

by alfio

Thanks for your reply Tmercier.

Do you know if there are any fish that are of reasonable size, that wont be eaten, and are fast swimmers lol. LOL This is what I am currently thinking.

1 male yellow lab
3 female yellow labs
perhaps 1 rusty cichlid or peacock cichlid (recommended by LFS employee)
and the target/dither fish

alfio

by alfio

oh ye and 2 chinese sucking cats

Dither fish and Target fish

19 posts • Page 2 of 2