Narrowed Down Top Choices

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Guys,
I have narrowed down the fish I want in my 65g FO tank. I would like 3 clowns, 1 Niger Trigger, and maybe another trigger down the road with 1 or 2 blennies maybe. I would add the three clowns first. Wait a month. Rearrange the rocks at a mo. and add the trigger. A few Questions. .. Would the trigger eventually mess with the clowns? If i am eventually going to add another trigger, is it better to do a pair of triggers at the same time? Is this a good idea at all lol? I know their known to be agressive, but there are ways structurally make sure you are not setting your tank up for a war zone. Opinions are appreciated. Thanks dudes.

deltasigpony3923

by deltasigpony3923

nice i have a niger trigger in my reef tank right now i got him really little about an 1.5 inch its kinda of a experiment to see if he can be raised not to eat my shrimp. the cool thing is the other day he went to get cleaned by my cleaner shrimp...btw my with clowns is fine but when your picking out you clowns make sure that they are all together already and pick the one that is the female usually the larger one and 2 males smaller and swimming near her so that you dont get 2 females and all they do is fight all day

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

oh really?? humm good advice, didnt know that

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

ok you need to be carefull what kind of trigger you git some are alot nicer that others nigers are the kindest out of all and with clowns you can olny have one type in a tank or thay will bet the hell out of each other. and if i were you git a larger type of clown a recamend a gold band maroon clown you can olny have 2 in one tank ( a male and female the lfs yously seperat them) if you do git this type git one big one small. with the triggers id git a black trigger to go with the niger the black and blue will give the tank some realy nice coler s and make it nice to look at. keep all the fish well feed ad you shouldent have any problums. o and triggers and clowns are very taritorel so add the clowns first and then the triggers second together stay away from clown triggers thay eat anything thay can catch(evil fish)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

clowns are unics at birth and change sex as needed - - - the largest of a group {1.2.10 doesn't matter} will be female, the next largest will be the male and the rest will be non sexed.......they aren't drones like bees and really don't serve any purpose in the group............but should something happen to the female the male will turn female and the largest "drone" will become male .........pretty cool species.........

so although 2 definate females will fight .................as long as they are different in size the smaller will eventually turn into a male and they should calm down

Clown Sex 101

lol

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well thats good to know boss...... wanna do some anemone 101 for me ? easy to keep? light expectations?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i don't have any............to scared....some people say they are simple some say they are a bitch

what i do know is that when they die they basically turn inside out and their insides are toxic ,..............so they could potentially damage the tank

the other thing is ......the really cute, or cool cheap ones at your LFS are usually not compatable with many clowns

find a match chart for clowns and nems.................Clarkii clowns seem to be the most compatible and True Percula's {like mine} are very picky

ive read that if a clown doesn't come with a nem then they won't host - - -then again my lil buggars host a hole in the live rock it's funny as hell

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

haha yea that is pretty funny, i emailed liveaquaria and they said that it is still instinct for a tank bred clown to host with an anemone it just could take longer, i think it would be really cool to have one but as you said its a risk... i was planning on either getting Ocellaris or black and white ocellaris, both of which would be tank bred, so if they can change sex and stuff what do i do about a mated pair? is it a must to buy a mated pair online?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

a male and female doesn't mean mated .......so if you want to try breeding then i would pay the extra for a mated pair................not to say that a two new fish wont turn male and female and mate...........but nothing says they will either - - - -mine are a year old, still pretty small but other than some postureing from the male they have never clutched - - - -but i didn't intend on breeding when i got them....although it would be cool someday

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well im not necessarily into the whole breeding thing i was more wanting them to stick together and not be solitary for the most part...... i kinda WANT them to act married so to speak.... without the human marriage characteristics such as fighting haha

18 posts • Page 1 of 2