add a little color to my tank

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kelbri

by kelbri

Well, since they are the sticks, they are a little tricky to read, so there may be traces of the 2 N's. I need to pony up and get a real test kit instead of the strips, although they are good for quick tests. I may sound well versed, but this is the first time I have tried keeping anything other than goldfish, tetra's or mollies, so I really want to do it right this time. I've been doing more reading than normal. Funny, since when I was in grade school I wanted to be a marine biologist =)

Maybe I'll check into the system they have installed at the local Superstore. The one where you take in your big plastic jugs to get refilled. I think that it's R/O. And it's even cheaper than buying the 1 gallon distilled waters.

What about thoughts on using an API (or other brand) water softener pillow in the filter? This is what it suggests on the instructions for the test strips. That and the distilled water changes.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you could try using peat moss or something like black water expert

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Hi Kelbri, sounds like you've pretty much got it all worked out but I just thought I'd answer your specific questions re gouramis. Well I've got 4 gourami's in a communtiy tank which also has 3 angels and lots of various tetra species and they all live very happily together. When the angels try and breed they get a bit territorial but the gouramis just go to the other side of the tank without complaining and there is never any fighting.

kelbri

by kelbri

Well, there is sad news. One of my new Angels passed on yesterday. I took him back for a refund, as I want to get my tank fully set up before anything else goes in.

I also purchased a 5 gallon container of R/O water, and am going to do a 10% water change on Saturday. Hopefully this will help things out. A1, I will check into the peat moss and black water expert as well. Thanks for the tip.

Cedric, thanks for the information. What kind of gouramis do you have? I do like the dwarf (plus for the size of tank, these would be better). What size of tank?

Here's to trying to fix and wait for the cycle to complete.

add a little color to my tank

14 posts • Page 2 of 2