algae

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ok ............well a good thing, if you want to call it good is I am also running a 20 gallon tank {long}

do you have crushed coral or live sand? crushed coral is terible, it is very pourus and alows fish crap and exsess food to settle down in it and that is a nitrate factory................my first go round ended up in a total tank lose because of my ignorance and crushed coral

for now you should only run your lights about 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night, this will starve the algae somewhat

feed them sparingly every couple of days fpr a while - -- a fishes stomach is about the size of it's eye, so they don't need much - - -get away from flake food, go to pellet or better yet fresh frozen, like mysis shrimp

get rid of the phos pads they are good for about 48hyours then they are putting what they took out back in, get a phosban media {it comes in a bag like carbon and lasts 3-6 months in a 20 gallon tank

from there i ended up getting some algae hermit crabs - - -little tiny buggars {about 1/2-3/4 inch shells} i put 7 in there and they really cleaned things up after awhile

do 10% water changes every three days for a couple weeks

when things come back in line, you can slowly increase your lighting times for viewing

it goes away.....i promise ........lol............but if its as bad as it sounds your in for a 6-8 week trip ..........just to let you know

oh yeah- - - -is the tank in direct sunlight at any time? if so, serously think about moving it - - -bad bad bad ..............lol

Snowboss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I completly understand. Keep your head up. Is your protein skimmer going full blast? which one do you have? If you can wet skim....it will pull more of that crap out of the water. I would certainly reccomend your friend holding your corals if you trust him......but thats between yall. trust me....we all understand putting time and money in a reef tank. You just have to be VERY patient with them. It will come together...just give it some more time to adjust.......cut your lights back some....and dont feed as much.

mmisselr01

by mmisselr01

Lol nope its far from windows and sunlight I moved the time down to less than 7 hours now but ill have to try your idea also anything helps. I use live sand and i feed my fish all frozen brine shrimp Ill have to do the water changes also my friend told me not to do as many as i was so i did cut back some but ill give it try and do alot more I have about 8 hermit crabs and 10 turbo snails. and one emerald crab ill buy new pads for my filter also thanks again I need all the help i can get at this point since im new to salt water tanks or any aquariums at that matter

fihsboy

by fihsboy

The hardest thing with saltwater.......is being patient. As much as you want to fiddle with things in the tank and check it every hour....(I used to do that) you cant. The more you mess with it, the more it messes with you.

mmisselr01

by mmisselr01

Yea its going full blast its a skilter 250 Ill have to give him my corals to hold onto they were doing good for a few months now there not looking to good. Im gonna try cutting my light down more and not feed as much I have been really patient with this thing hopefully i can keep it up

mmisselr01

by mmisselr01

Yea i use to mess with it all the time also but it looks like shit now so i barely mess with it anymore

algae

16 posts • Page 2 of 2