Persistent Amonia and high PH

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

josephine

by josephine

Thanks, I feel really stupid actually about not researching before plunging in. I looked at tanks for a long time in a particular shop before I bought one. I just did not realise what it involved or the need to research. When I was a child I kept a goldfish in a bowel and it was so tame I used to stroke it. It grew huge in this tiny bowel. I just changed the water and fed it goldfish flakes and it lived a couple of years, poor thing. So I thought that was about it and did not think I had to research it. Idiot.

josephine

by josephine

Hi, just to let you know that I have not done a water change for two weeks. My last water change I once again used Woolworths water. My amonia today is nil and my nitrites are nil even though my one filter has been out of action in this time due to a problem with a knob. Had a bit of algae on some leaves of the plants because sometimes due to my work schedule I have to leave the lights on for 14-16 hours. However, I washed the leaves of the plants and the algae came off. I think I might be about to start reaping the benefits of using good water for water changes and of course the filter settling in.

yayasisterhood

by yayasisterhood

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I do have a solution for your tap water ammonia problems. my tap water tests a whopping 5.0 for ammonia, yeesh! I have installed a reverse osmosis filter and it takes my tap water from a 5.0 to less than .20. the only drawback to this is a 1.5 gallon holding tank and a maximum per day production of filtered water is 10 gallons. upside great drinking water always available, whats a few bottles of water sitting somewhere while you accumulate enough for a tank change:-)
9027a-my tank.jpg

yayasisterhood

by yayasisterhood

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I do have a solution for your tap water ammonia problems. my tap water tests a whopping 5.0 for ammonia, yeesh! I have installed a reverse osmosis filter and it takes my tap water from a 5.0 to less than .20. the only drawback to this is a 1.5 gallon holding tank and a maximum per day production of filtered water is 10 gallons. upside great drinking water always available, whats a few bottles of water sitting somewhere while you accumulate enough for a tank change:-)
9027a-my tank.jpg

Persistent Amonia and high PH

14 posts • Page 2 of 2