Fish Poop Problems

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

HLE could be caused from stray voltage and diet also..

swp

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

stray voltage???????????

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah from powerheads or heaters or filters.....but a grounding probe.......it basically grounds the water in your tank.....making the circuit complete.......so nothing gets HLE from the stray voltage.. If you have older pumps or powerheads or a filter I would get one......if not....get one when ever...I want to run a GFCI.....but I havent had the money or desire....ive only fried myself once so far..:) . i havent had a problem with the HLE....but hell it couldnt hurt to get the grounding probe.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I would imagine that the stray voltage would effect the user of the tank, IE the person cleaning it, and not the occupants. Because the occupants are higher than earth and not in contact with it due to the insulation barriers between them and earth, IE timber cabinets and glass, they would be protected from voltages.
Its only when the user becomes a path of least resistance to earth, does a voltage become a noticeable effect.
What i mean is, you putting your hand in the tank and being in contact with the earth, meaning the floor, is when the electrical circuit becomes complete.
Sometimes when you put your hand in and you get that little tingle, the fish cant feel that.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

so what your saying is that pumps and powerheads can actually "bleed" voltage into the system, waiting to be grounded??

if so my GFCI outlet should trip if that happens .............correct??

nicholas542

by nicholas542

yeah I posted a thread oh HLLE on this site a while ago you best this is to run Ground Fault Interupters. That will solve alot of the problem. And Pimp if feed him steamed broccili, garclic and every witch doctor trick I could there was pretty much nothing i could do. I think he had the early stages from my local pet store. I informed them on Head and lateral line disease and they looked at me like i was crazy.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

You do need to replace you GFI's once and a while too everything that is electrical has a shelf life. It may look structurally sound but the internals may be faulty.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

amen................somebody needs to convince Peterkarig of that....lol

Fish Poop Problems

18 posts • Page 2 of 2