Canister Blues

1 post

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sig2293794

Canister Blues

by Sig2293794

Hey gang. I need a straight up answer here. I need to upgrade my filtration in my 48 Gallon and i've decided to splurge a little and go to canister filtration.

I've been researching online and have narrowed down my search to 2 canister.

The Magnum 350 PRO. I like this filter because it looks like it's very easy to clean and maintain, however I fear it may me outdated. The re-usable filters and the water polishing sound like a good bonus. What I really like tho is it comes with a BIO-Wheel attachment. My tank currently only uses a Marineland 280 with a bio wheel and it keeps up with biological filtration nicely.

Also looking at a Fluval 350. This filter boasts removable media baskets. Sounds a little more messy but the media can be customized to suite my individual needs. As I understand it can accept media that will do "water polishing" as well as media that will help biological filtration. My worry here is that the only oxygen that this media comes into contact with is what the water provides. Is it enough to really sustain good bio filtration?

Like I said I'm just looking for an opinion here on what you all think of these two filters.

Bill

Canister Blues

1 post