Starting a new planted prodject

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Right now I have 2 15 watt grow bulbs in the stock hood that my 10 gallon came with. So that is 3 WPG. I would think that if you do like saltwater the tank has nitrates in it already that the plants feed off of. So like in my reef the red-mangroves and the chaetomorpha macro algae get enough nutrients from the tank water itself. C02 i have no idea about i'll have to investigate, but is it really nesseary for plant survival ?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Supplementation of CO2 is not necessary for -survival-, but you will notice increased growth in low-growing foreground plants like micro sword and dwarf hairgrass, mosses (other than java moss and close relatives) and more proper and balanced growth in other high light plants which require a lot of nutrients to show full color (I'm especially fond of bright red and pink varieties).

It's a lot less intimidating than I had thought it would be, as well. The only drawback is a diffuser will occupy more space in the aquarium. There are many different types though. The ladder I got works well but is (at the moment) an eyesore. Ideally a nice glass diffuser is hard to beat. Being glass, relatively small, and available in a variety of shapes they're barely noticeable.

In any aquarium CO2 already exists as fish give it off and some is transferred in with oxygen in atmospheric transfer. The supplementation just gives a more optimal supply directly to the plants, and if done right is completely harmless to the fish, as the plants will produce a steady supply of oxygen themselves especially if receiving good light.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

So would a 11 watt power compact light supply more light than two 15 watt regular grow bulbs. The power compact lamp is a VHO lamp so I would think the light spectrum would provide more light for growth ? I have an extra 11 watt power compact lamp for my saltwater refugium so i was wonder which would be better.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

I haven't used CO2 in our tank, and the plants are doing just fne. They grow very rapidly and require pruning every fortnight or so. I do beleive CO2 does work wonders though, I just haven't bothered yet.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

yeah but what about the lighting factor shoud I use my power compact or the lights that i am running now ?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I think in that situation your'e better off with more quantity than quality. As long as these 'gro' bulbs are supply something in the 6700k range you're better off sticking with them.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah the CF's probally put off a better spectrum but untill you get into the plants that need supplemental Co2 also i do not think you will need the higher "quality" but then you will need the quantity too

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I think in your situation quantity will serve you better than quality. Stick with what you have. :) Before your first reply I just had no idea what the quantity was, so I was just giving a basic requirement list when I wrote 2+wpg. =P 30w in a 10gal is just spiffy, unless its a black light or something which its obviously not. lol

Starting a new planted prodject

18 posts • Page 2 of 2