can anyone please help?

21 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

your filter should be moveing 3 times your tank size at minimum - - - thats 240gph 5 times is pretty good..............on top of that you should run a couple good size power heads in there {like a korilia2 or 3}

since you upgraded your lights algae has bloomed so i would cut the lights back to 1-2 hours a couple times a day

run a lot of carbon to polish your water

switching to RO is a good move but it will and has bumped a mini cycle in the tank

this is normal and you just need to get through it, watch your feeding and don't let a lot of waste go into the tank

im not familure with the mooreish, but tangs a nd clowns are pigs, lol, they will eat pretty much anytime you want to feed them..............this in turn creates little turd factories...........every other day and minimal food is plenty for them

from there, get a turkey baster and blow the ditritus off the rocks and sand surface a couple time a day and let the filter clean it up, double up on your filter maint, if your cleaning it every month do it every two weeks, if every two weeks do it every week till you get back online - - - 2-3 small water changes a week for a couple weeks won't hurt either

good luck we've all been there or are heading there, lol

Boss

addicted2fish

by addicted2fish

Hey
you might have done too much of a good job cleaning. you disturbed your biological and its going to take some time to get back to normal..underfiltration is also a problem, try using a hang on filter or buy another corner filter. carbon will also help clearing up the water. turn on the lights only when you are going to be enjoying your tank, unless you have live corals and that type of stuff. you might want to invest in an airpump if you are going to be running that type of filtration, airpump helps in water movement too. also dont overfeed and over crowd your tank. that can give you some serious problems.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Personally I would blame it on your water source. Tap water SUCKS. I ran my tank for 7 months on RO water.......and switched to dechlorinated tap due to lfs going out of business......and I had an algae bloom the next day.. A HUGE algae bloom. and the only way to get that crap out of the water.......is several water changes.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

air stone - - - good advice , they will make a huge difference

dick_headers

by dick_headers

You need more filtration, and don't mess too much with your tank during the nitrogen cycle. Do a good and serious research on nitrogen cycle. Do not use tap water. If you don't have that much of livestock ( fishes, corals) i'd restart the whole thing with RO water. Specially if you go with reef.
All you'd have to do take the old water out and refill with RO. Let it cycle correctly. You can live the sand and the rock, won't hurt.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I Think that nearly every bit of advise that has been given to you is very close to the money.
In my opinion, and thats all it is, is a combination of a couple of easy fix things.
1. Water movement my tank turns over about 10 times its volume an hour that works.
2. Has to be a lighting issue if problems started after light change.
3. Diatoms on the substrate are a good indication of over feeding and Lighting.
Back the upgraded light back a couple hours and reduce feeding. Do this and gradually reduce this to see if the brown shit goes. Its a slow thing but, if its diatom (brown algea) then it will take a little while to be rid of.
I feed my corals and fish all together on tuesday friday sundays. No pumps or water movement. Leave for an hour and start all back up.
4. Maybe check your filter media. Could be causing something there. Bio balls are shit in my opinion. media could also be a little grubby causing your flow to be restricted.
Hope that helps.
Also stiring up your substrate can be a bad thing. It upsets the bacteria down there in the non oxygen zone

havoc20927392

by havoc20927392

thanks very much all of you for your advice. i bought a phosphate tester yesterday $$$$£££ a silly price but had to be done and i found my phosphate was 0.14 tooooo high it should be 0.03 or below mine is 400% more and basically i,cut my lights a lot to 2 hours in the morning 2 hours in the night when i feed the again a few days from now i hope to see some changes.

snowboss

by snowboss

let us know how it goes ....we like to see how advise works out for people

Boss

havoc20927392

by havoc20927392

i also bought a koralia 4 again $120 i hope it does a good job

snowboss

by snowboss

you'll love it, i have the nano and it out performs bigger more powerful powerheads hands down

can anyone please help?

21 posts • Page 2 of 3