Should You Gravel Vac?

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Gravel Vacuum?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:08 am

yes
86%
no
14%

Total votes : 22

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah..given the proper systems you can delay the ticking time bomb in some instances but overall I think that replicating nature in any way is going to require some extra work on our part. :) I've adjusted the flow of water in my 30gal so that any small activity by my shoal of panda corys will cause all ''crap'' on the surface of my sand to get sucked into etiher the sponge filter or my rena filstar 1. I think I've virtually eliminated the need as you say for any further gravel vacuums..but I also don't have gravel. =P

Its a bit more difficult in my 16gal though..too many things in the way for water flow to get all the detritus where it belongs. The MTS as you say though..are an immense help.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have to use a gravel vac in my African cichlid tank! They are so gross! I have 2 filters running and still when they get wound up and dig in the sand they send crap flying everywhere!!

I vacuum each tank when I clean on a weekly basis. I have sand so I only skim the surface as I clean to remove poop and stuff. If I didn't it would be gross to look at.

I don't have snails and cannot have the cute cories in any tank because my bottom dwelling cichlids in each tank would not tolerate them.

I just use the vacuum on my python and suck up the crud, then refill with it too. So much easier!!

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

an aquarium can be kept successfully without ever doing a gravel vac i agree.... but only a well experienced aquarist should attempt this. like maimi said most fishkeepers tend to overfeed, and it would be a time bomb.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I figure if more people applied the methods I am using it will prove there is no need for vacuuming

nevertheless, I understand and completely agree with you that there must be some form of "vacuuming" going on. I went with snails and others go with hoses. I just prefer to take this hobby as natural as I possibly can

I figure a living being ni the tank wants it as natural as possible. It's bad enough I must stick a hose in the tank to take out 9 gallons on Monday then 9 gallons on Thursday. I feel like I am practically intruding in on their privacy. It may sound a little absurd, but it's the way I look at it.

The only thing I have artificial in the tank is the red maple vine (for the fry), but as the java moss takes over the right side of the tank, I will remove the artificial vine and replace it with other live plants.

All I am saying is, if we as fish hobbyists can mimick nature as close as we can, the fish, invertebrates, live plants, etc will all be for the better.

One last thing, on the right side of the tank I have absolutely no aeration or completely still water...on the left side of the tank I have a river-like movement of the water, I have 12 air stones, bundled together behind malaysian wood...the danios and tetras love swimming throughout the waves as opposed to the platies and frogs that love the still waters.

I want what is best for the fish, I am here for them. If they are happy I am happy. Our fish and its aquascape is a partnership. So if we can not disturb their world by not vacuuming but instead do the "vacuuming" the natural way via snails, I say do it.

but like you said, to each his own...so it's cool

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i see your point of view and it does make sense. But the problem with never vacuuming is the excess buildup of organic matter, the more food for the snails the more snails that you will have mind you when MTS are not really looked as a nuisance but over population could

swampcat874

by swampcat874

Yes, must clean gravel . Over time , all that gunk in gravel will start to breakdown, and effect water quality.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I don't vacuum because i don't want to disturb my plants. How do you vacuum the gravel in a planted tank?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well for those who are dead set on vacuuming a planted tank you can use a very thin small long narrow vacuum plastic tube to get to the gravel without disturbing the plant roots or the planst themselves...BUT I FROWN AGAINST VACUUMING

well thanks natalie for your "no" - another fin in my cap - I tried to post the following wekks ago but I was bumped offline so I will now try again as to answer those who believe I have no argument when it comes to not vacumming

For last 6 months Oxygen level at 8.3 ppm, PH stead at 7.2, Hardness at 80, Alkalinity at 120, Nitrite at 0, Nitrate between 5-25, mostly at 15, and Ammonia at 0. Temperature levels from 78-84, usually at 82.

Two 200 gph filters for a 55 gallon tank; one heater at a steady temperature of 78 throughout the year; water change on Monday (9 gallons) and Thursday (9 gallons) with every Monday I add 2 Tablespoons of aquarium salt. There is a plant bulb on the left side for the live plants and a regular florescent bulb on the right for java moss (low light). I have created a 12 bundled air stone areation system in the corner of the tank behind a piece of driftwood to create surface agitation for plentiful oxygen throughout the tank plus the danios and tetras like the flow; the other side of the tank is absolutely still creating a "lake" for the platies, frogs and ghost shrimp etc. Also I created (from a vacuum tube - I no longer need it for vacuuming) a feeding tube that is let into the tank, held in place via a piece of sandstone, so I can feed the african dwarf frogs frozen foods straight to the bottom of the tank.

And now the ultimate in breakdown:

-- trumpet snails stir the gravel, constantly burrowing throughout the gravel, turning it over, cleaning the gravel of its debris
-- ghost shrimp eat any detrius and foods that the fish does not eat when fed fish flakes at the water surface
-- olive nerite snails constantly clean the driftwood, plant leaves, glass
-- otocinclus catfish constantly graze over the rocks, driftwood and glass for algae
-- african dawrf frogs, believe it or not, for I have caught them doing it, devour any dead fish, will keep the fry poulation down and are excellent cleaners when the lights go out
-- fish poop naturally feed the live plants or fertilizers the plants

and all this without vacuuming

the key to this issue is plenty oxygen supply, snails that burrow, no overfeeding (every Sunday I fast my fish, and every other 3 weeks, I put my fish and the rest on a 3 day fast, it cleans their insides or intestines out), and plenty water changes will prove not one vacuuming is needed

of course the above paragraph (oxygen supply, trumpet snails, no overfeeding and water chagnes) must be performed on a regular basis; to not vacuum one must make up for it in other ways, one must not be lazy - people think if one does not vacuum one is lazy, to the contrary, to create a natural ecosystem, and on a continuous basis, is far more wiser than sticking a plastic tube into the tank and disturbing the inhabitants

I am sure most will disagree - as one can tell the poll is against my way of choosing...and this is cool, to each their own - but I have found, in life, one must, within reason, take risks, I have taken the t=rish not to vacuum with the above-mentioned precautions, and I have found, there is absolutely no reason to vacuum.

by the way, you can control the population of the trumpet snail...the more overfeeding the snails yet the burrowing of the gravel...so it is wiser to keep a steady growth of these little guys with less feeding and still have the gravel "vacuumed" or burrowed

ahhhhhhhhhhhh...nothing beats the old fashion natural way.

Happy Fishing!

morbus6373

by morbus6373

I too agree that vacuuming is somewhat important. As mentioned above-it depends on your circumstances; the type of fish you keep, your substrate, filter system decor in the tank and probably a whole lot more. I have 150g tank with big messy south americans and loads of wood and other stuff and i built what i thought/think is a nifty filter and there are fish who cleaned the sand with their digging. So-i got lazy, thinking the tank would hold itself up-all tests said my water was good, and i couldn't see any muck lying around. I went. . . maybe a year without cleaning the gravel and did water changes once every few months, and all tests said the water was good. untill one day (several days) i lost 3/4 of my fish, the whole tank just crashed, i saved fish by moving them to a big breeding tank. anyway, i then tossed the tank around and found loads of muck in the most random (unseen) places. So, moral of the story is that i do beleive a gravel cleaning now and again is useful!!!!

just a thought--
the stuff you vacuum out is going to be organic waste. the ammonia the fish release is predominantly through their gills. the poop isn't going to contain anything nutritious (nitrogen, phosphate, sulphur and stuff) unless your fish has a wacked out digestive system. so, the bacteria in your tank theat feed on the poop are heterotrophs (like us :-) ). they are going to release carbon based compounds into the water, which will likely not be that toxic and will not show up on any conventional water tests. those heterotrophic germs are the scary ones as they are the germs that will attack your fish (because they want to eat the fish). so-if you have a lot of poop lying around-not being cleaned up. . . .
that story doesn't end welll
:)
just my thoughts
peace
PS. apology if your hand got lame while scrolling through that

morbus6373

by morbus6373

yasherkoach-
i just read your last post now

i actually think you do a good job--or-it sound that way to me
but it wont work for me
I also tried to set up a tank for minimum input from me--and being a bio freak like me-it helped in getting an understanding of the chemistry thats needed

just as another thought
do you have filters that trap floating dirt thatt you regularly clean?
and-do you just have platies, tetras and danios in your tank?
and may i ask how many of each you have?
and what type of filters you have

i hope its not too many questions, but i really am curious as to your set up!!
thanks

Should You Gravel Vac?

20 posts • Page 2 of 2