Thickness of sandbed in reeftank

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

snowboss

by snowboss

good find.......i may do a priliminary test through them and then maybe follow up every 6 months or so...........it sounds pricee but if you look at it as another piece of equipment, it is really pretty cheap

i think it will be a great service on an established tank that doesn't swing violently from one extreme to the other on a daily basis

Boss

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

ok i am kinda saprised no one has asked this yet or i just dident see it. do you have a protien skimmer on you tank? the way a atnk cycels is fish poop that terns in to amonya in the water. amonya terns into no2 and the no2 is terned into no3 in your bio filtering the no3 is terned into air throu your protien skimmer finishing the full cycle.
in a tank with out a skimmer there will have to be more water changes because it is the olny way to git rid of the no3. if you are gitting realy hight readings of no3 do a 50% water change and then check the tank 2 hours later you should see a drop in the no3 in your tank. the reason you arnt seing any dif with doing the small water change is your not making a big enuf dent if you put red water in clear water together it will tern the clear water red. if you take out 1 our of 10 gallens and replace it with clear it will still be red but if you take out 5 of that 10 it will be lite pink. i hope you understand what im trying to say. lol it kinda sounds like yoda.:) good luck and keep us posted.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

yeah I 'm running a seaclone 100 that is rated for up to a 100 gallon tank on a 40 gallon reef. I found the reason that my nitrates where so high though. My sandsifter goby dissappeared for a while, and I was cleaning the intake on my wavemaker. Lo and behold the little rotten corpse of a bullet goby stuck in the intake I was wondering why my surface waves got smaller. To make a long story short nitrate problems fixed going to do a 50 percent water change tonight, and retest.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

ewwwie....a sea clone? it will work for a little while. But I have never heard anything good about those guys. Do you like yours?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i was running a red sea Prizm, HOB skimmer when this all started, now i'm running the one thats integated in the rapids pro filter i just installed ........

Boss

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Check a post earlier this year about API test kits and the problem i had the link is below, this will substantiate what snowboss is saying. In short my test kits where saying everything was fine but it wasn't.
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/phpbb/viewtopic/1591

nicholas542

by nicholas542

yeah i got you're pm I'm going to check my test kit's tommarow.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

My seaclone works great I did the modifications to it, and it removed crap like a MOFO. You have to shorten the collection cup tube, intermediate tube, and add a gang valve to the airline. I finally got my nitrates down to zero critters are loving it. The API test kit works fine. Going to start moding my PS4 here pretty soon adding the first devider wall tommarow. Getting two baseball sized clumps of Chaetomorpha algae soon so the fuge is in the works.

Thickness of sandbed in reeftank

18 posts • Page 2 of 2