Elephant Nose

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dawgtrain

Elephant Nose

by dawgtrain

Have any of you ever had an elephant nose fish? I have had one now for about three weeks and I do not like him much I think I will turn him in for trade. I was just wondering your opinions on them. I think he is tuff to feed as he is very pushy when it comes to eating and I think he picks alot of fights AND STRESSES OTHERS OUT ! I have lost too many fish since he has been residing with me. any thoughts?
you can see him in one of my tank pics.
38f8b-Tank Oct 08 007.jpg

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

well i have see them before not to often though and i do not know much about them i know tha when i have seen them they are in a species tank....

RogerFederer

by RogerFederer

i saw them just a few days ago at a shop and they had them isolated. to be honest i think they are mighty ugly. id trade em in for sure.

about trading...is this something that most stores will do?!?!

oh by the way nice tank!

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

what is a species tank? and about trading yes we have some stores that will trade but not on the retail price you paid ..for example I could of traded him within 7 days if he didnt work out. but now that I am 3 weeks into him and he has established himself in my tank they said they could not trade me the full price paid...Yes I tend now to think he is ugly or she for that matter??? I just had two of my angels die two days in a row and I dont know why????? old age??or the elephant stressing them?? This can be a very difficult hobby as sometimes there is no reason I guess.....thanks : )

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

did you test your water afer the angels died? if so what were your readings or what are they now?

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

my water is good sucks to loose big fish like that. all are fine since then

miami754

by miami754

I went and read a little bit about these guys. They are shy by nature, but can also be very territorial (although usually it is geared towards their own species). Several places said they will stake out an area and defend it for very long periods of time. Therefore they need places to hide (PVC pipe, caves, rocks, etc.) and they prefer subdued lighing (see eyesight comment below) and call their own.

They also use a weak electric field to navigate and find food. Their long "nose" looking thing is covered in electroreceptors that it uses to "feel" the EM field (think of it kind of like sonar). Their eyesight is very poor. Most places said they needed a diet of tubifex worms and blood worms.

Again, this is not from my experience. It is just from doing a quick search on the web. This information may very well be wrong (as we know how much crap is out there), but I only included things in the post that seemed to be corroborated by several sources.

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

Thank you for your time in research, I also heard they like their own place as he seems to hang out in the corner where the plants are , he loves blood worms as does the rest of the gang too ! but I have to make sure he gets a bunch as he does eat by sensors. Dont really like him too much. perhaps a friend of mine will take him she has a blk ghost knife that shes had for long time maybe they can sensor together for their food.

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

He is gone !! I gave him away tonight. I also went and bought some new members for the tank. 2 Angels 3 pink tetras 3 rainbow gouramis and one big fat snail with a yellow shell with green tinge of alge he moves along all over. I dont miss the Elephant nose as does any fish in tank.

miami754

by miami754

Congrats - hey I've been meaning to ask you - does your name have to do with you being a Georgia Bulldog fan or something else? Just curious as I graduated from grad school there a little bit ago.

Elephant Nose

10 posts