filtering the new tank

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

filtering the new tank

by singapore

im about to buy my 125 long from my lfs. im getting the tank (drilled) and the stand, for $600. good deal or no? im planning on having a 33 long as my sump. my question for everyone is... what sort of filtration would you use? conister filters? bio-balls? mat algae filter? which is the most efficient at ridding the tank of nitrates, phosphates, and other bad stuff? im not looking to spend a fortune, since im already downing $600 for the tank and $500 more for lights.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

not a bad deal for the tank man. The setup I'm investing in is a mangrove fuge. I've been reading that mangroves pull massive amounts of nitrates from the system. With the refugium you can also aquaculture live copepods, and other natural foods for you fish/ inverts. As far as bio-balls I haven't really heard alot of great reviews on them.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would do a nice fuge with a filter sock......it works insanely well. IF you dont mind keeping the fuge lit 24/7 get some culpera or maidens hair if you dont want it lit 24/7. The maidens hair will help for sure. Good skimmer.....good filter sock, BAM good filtration. Throw some mangroves in there with some good light and some macro algae. Not only will your water be crystal clear........you will have copepods EVERYWHERE. and you could hold multiple dragonets. :)

singapore

by singapore

not exactly sure what i filter sock is? i was thinking of having a bunch of codium in the tmain tank and some chaeto in the sump, along with xenia maybe...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

the filter sock is the easiest and most simple way to run a sump............drop out of your tank with PVC and as it enters the sump put a micron bag on the end of the drain pipe, you can put ceramics, carbon bags etc in there as well..........get ahold of Saltwaterpimp, thats the way he runs his sumps and his tanks are pristine

Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

live rock and sand should be the main biological filtration..no bioballs..the filter sock will be a great way to collect detritus..clean often.i like the socks cuz it catches all the bubbles. bubble free tanks are always nice..also you can throw chemical media right in the bag,i use chemi pure and activated carbon..i may drop the activated once i get a skimmer but idk. ....to find the sock google .(200 micron filterbag)

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Some guy locally made my sock. He used straight felt.....with a 200 micron bag inside the felt. So its like having two socks in one. Insanely hard to clean.....BUT the sock along with some activated carbon has almost completly rid my tank of the algae problem I was having. ALL the dietrus build up I had is gone. I have changed my sock every day for the last two weeks....they work soo well.....that when you start running it....you have to clean it a lot. But once your run it for a while. It slows down a little. Its been three days now since I changed it....but at the begging, I saw what my tank was missing out on. (ALOT)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

do you bleach it ? bleach works good ,make sure you get all the bleach out though..

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah I have been throwing them in the washing machine on a full cycle by themselves with a tiny bit of bleach and extra rinse cycle. So far soo good. This should be like a protein skimmer..........required for success. Holy cow......the only thing im mad about..........I didnt put one on sooner. These things are like crack pipes for a crack head. Catnip for cats. Bones for dogs. butter for grilled cheese. Well........there just the best thing in the world for a sump!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i agree..

filtering the new tank

13 posts • Page 1 of 2