How to great photos of your fish!!!!!!!

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

How do you take great photos of your fish if anyone has an answer please tell me becsaue my fishies love the cameras but the water blurrs it

Thanks, J

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

fast shutter speed tank lights off and room lights off

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have two cameras. One has a manual focus the other doesn't. I will tell you how I take pics with both, OK?

I use the manual focus for most of my fish pictures. I set it on macro and then focus myself. I will pick a spot to focus on that is within the range where the fish are, then take the pictures when they come by. After a while of doing this I know what setting to use for which part of the tank. Also with this camera I get the best photos when I use the flash. Its an older camera so the flash helps get a clear picture.

With my other camera it does not have manual focus. This one is harder to take clear pics with, but it does not need the flash. That is why I switch back and forth . There are times (like taking whole tank photos) where a flash is not good.

I will point the lens at a rock, plant, anything fairly still in the range I want. Hold the button halfway until the camera focuses on this fairly still object then either wait for the fish or move to the fish. This way doesn't work as well as the manual focus because the camera has trouble with all the moving stuff in a tank. I cannot get clear close-ups with this way.

The point is to focus on a fairly still object then the fish as it swims by may come out clear. I prefer the manual focus much more in tank pictures because then I focus where I want and the camera isn't trying to focus on everything in the frame.

I will take about 30 pics at one sitting and come out with maybe 2 clear ones. That's what is so nice about the digital camera!

The best whole tank pics are taken at night with all room lights off. That way the full colors in the tank stand out. Don't use a flash when you do this.

You can edit the photos in most editing programs. I will tweak the exposure and sometimes the sharpness too.

Here are some examples:
1-3 manual focus
#1 is a close-up of a Rummy Nose tetra. They move very fast so I focused on the near by plants and snapped as they swam by.
#2 is a wider view, focused on the drift wood
#3 my little Red Zebra kept peeking at me thru the rocks, so I focused on the rocks.

#4-5 are the camera focusing for me.
#4 is an example of the camera trying to focus on everything within the frame.
#5 is a tank shot, taken at night, all lights off with no flash. See how the colors pop out?
ba738-1.JPG
67c31-2.JPG
6818d-3.JPG
d02eb-4.JPG
a7a79-5.jpg

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

thanks a1k8t3 and dizzcat!!

Your advice is helping with my snaps so much dizz i love your shot of your little red zebra!! How cute LOL and with the tank shot was the tank light off or just the surrounding room lights. Thanks lots ,J

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

The main thing to keep in mind is that even professional photographers can snap hundreds of shots and still end up with only a few good ones. That's why you take so many at once, and why digital is AWESOME, as Dizz said. I can't imagine getting nearly as many good pictures if I had to take them to be developed. Plus, I'd be broke.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I'm a decent photographer, here's what I do.

1.) Take photos at night.
2.) Use a medium shutter speed, around 100-120ish. Just enough to pick up a good amount of light in the aquarium but not the dim light around it.
-Taking photos up close...
1.) Make sure your camera is set to adjust the aperture of the lense to focus closely, on your camera the setting might be marked with an A for aperture.
2.) When you take the photos use a rapid shot and shoot about 5-10 at a time, holding the camera as still as possible. A tripod works great.
-Taking photos from a distance.
This also works great sometimes if you set your camera to Auto, and just zoom in. The fish are less afraid to come out and you an usually get better photos with less blur.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I take my pictures at night with all the room lights off. I just have the tank lights on. That way I don't get my reflection or any room reflection in the shots. When I take whole tank shots I will turn off all the lights and just leave the tank lights on. I don't use a flash either.

If my fish are busy digging or flirting, yet stop when I come close I will do what jweb says and sit on my couch and just zoom in.

My fish tend to be more active when the room is dark. I think its because they cannot see out of the tank, only their reflections. My male Ram will attack himself at night, so funny! They don't see me as clear sticking the camera close either.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I'm finally starting to outgrow my digital camera. It's just a Sony Cybershot, but when I bought it, it cost like $600 and was top-of-the-line for that type of camera. It doesn't have lens attachments or anything, just a point-and-shoot model, but it proved to be really versatile and useful, and still works great six years later.

Still, I'm starting to see the real depth and light options a better camera can offer... too bad I don't have a high-paying job like I did when I bought this camera.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea I bought my camera about the same time back. It's cost about the same as you paid and was the best in the price range. It has 10x optical zoom and 5x digital, which is awesome for no lens attachment. It also comes with all the bells and whistles of rapid shutter, aperture settings, and such.

snowboss

by snowboss

http://www.melevsreef.com/fotos.html

this site and this guy is amazing.....crazy information and DIY stuff

11 posts • Page 1 of 2