How long can you keep RO water?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I got sick and tired of buying RO water from Wal-Mart and then have to recycle all those plastic gal jugs so I purchased a RO filter and have been storing the RO water in a plastic 44 gal trash can with a tight fitting lid. My question is how long can I keep this water in there. I use it all the time for top offs and water changes but I never use the last 3 - 4 gals before I make more. is this a problem or not?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i would think that i would be good for awhile i would throw a powerhead in there just to keep it circulating though

gumbii

by gumbii

what about the water at walmart...? it's on the shelves for months... or those people that keep emergency water in thier basements... i don't think the water expires...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

As long as your trash can isnt leaching like some plastics do.......you should be fine.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

everyone is right to a point, water itself won't go bad, but, when you have the lid open and are working around it open to the air, you could be getting crud in there, which could cause bactieria to start growing in there..........just be careful. i would look into a barel with bung fittings that you can pipe in and out of so the water doesn't get exposed to things in the open air.... a small 50-100 gallon polly tank from tractor supply or someplace like that would be perfect as well

Boss

gdeeber

by gdeeber

The trash can has a tight fitting lid and I drilled a hole for the filter tube to go through. I'm not worried about outside dust or crud, more so about anything growing in the water or absorbing something from the plastic trash can.

Thanks for the replies

fihsboy

by fihsboy

The only concern I have ever heard about water expiring is leaching. Plastic leaches........of course its over months and months.......of standing still. So as long as its moving no problem. I would just google plastic leaching or something like that.

7 posts