calcium reactor

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

calcium reactor

by singapore

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coralife-500-Calciu ... dZViewItem

thinking about getting ths one. i know its rated for up to 500gal, but its only like $10 more than the one for up to 150 gal. its going to go on my 55gal, then on a 150gal.

is this a good deal?

and also, it says it requires a CO2 system...what is that? does that mean i just needs a CO2 tank? like the kind for a paintball gun or what?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

That sounds like a good deal to me. The same one is like 350 at marinedepot. Just make sure it has all the fittings etc etc. If you buy a ph monitor you could adjust your drip rate with that pretty easily. It would depend on your tank needs. The CO2 lowers your PH in the canister with the media making the media react into calcium. So you have to watch the drip into your tank to make sure the ph is stable. After you set it up..................thats it. Thats all you have to do. It does the rest, i suppose it keeps your alkalinity up as well.........havent read that much into it yet. Sounds like a great idea to me though!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i dont think you realy need one do you ? if you plan on a full blown sps/stoney corals then yes it would be ideal , just my opinion though. you can maintain calcium/alkilinity much cheaper with a 2 part and a doser. i used 15 to 20 mil of the 2 part every other day in my tank and my levels stayed right on i had exelent growth of all corals and coriline.

swp

fihsboy

by fihsboy

What 2 part did you use? I was told to be very aggresive with mine..in my 29 gallon im using 30ml of calc and 30ml of alk. So far its paid off to be aggresive with it. Everything stays open ALL day and looks healthier than ever. Overkill probably.....but it would be nice to not have to worry with it.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i used B-IONIC ..its great..i had a full to the rim reef tank (mostly soft and lps)tons of coraline algae and very strong coral growthmy corals always stayed open day/night other then to shed and i rarely seen that because of my current , and when i did water changes they would close for a short time.i could go over 2 weeks sometimes and not even scrape my glass. i am a nutrient freak , i keep little to nutrients in my water.

swp

singapore

by singapore

how much is the two part mix? and is it easy to mix or dose...whatever

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i paid 28 bucks for 1 gallon of ca and one gallon of alk.you just need to figure out the uptake of ca. mix the recomended dose ,and always add both parts(sepratly but with in a few minutes of each one. with the exeption of alk .

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

OH YEA ALWAYS MIX IN SOME FRESH RO WATER OR TANK WATER IN A SEPRATE CONTAINER BEFORE ADDING TO THE TANK.

singapore

by singapore

so do u think its a better than investing in a calcium reactor?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

not worth it imo,unless you have a bunch of montapora,acropora..ect.how much calcium does your system use on a daily basis ?buy some hot pink ricordea yumas, frag it, make the hobby pay for it self,and give me one for saving you some money....lol..

swp

calcium reactor

13 posts • Page 1 of 2