Pregnant Cichlid Question

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the batches of fry. They make it to be free-swimming, and then Cerberus (dad) just eats them. It's funny because at first he takes them in his mouth and returns them to the plant if they fall off before they can swim, but after that? They're lunch. Maybe he just wants his own buffet. I don't think he's ever been bred before, though, so maybe they'll figure it out. I don't want to have to isolate the fry, but I guess I'll have to if they have too many more unsuccessful spawns.

What I REALLY want is for my black angelfish to pair up and mate, but I don't know if I have a male and a female, heh. I have no pictures of them yet... they're hard to photograph in a tank that has no background for contrast.

Sorry the fry are kind of blurry... they are little wigglers at this stage. I have more pictures on my actual profile.
79bf5-DSC06061 Small.JPG
9c74a-DSC06252 Small.JPG

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Those are so cool :-) I looked at all the pics in your profile! How do they all stick together like that? My Ram wigglers pop all over the place LOL. None have made it? That is a drag! My Rams have spawned 3 times since that one successful one, but none made it. One batch they lost in the bigger rock substrate (I changed to sand after that) and the other two batches they just started munching as they hatched. Weird, don't know why. Maybe they knew the wigglers would not make it?
d6689-00hatching 2.JPG

dizzcat

by dizzcat

That pic is their second successful spawn. They dug a pit for the wigglers in the rock, but the rock was so big the wigglers wiggled deep in and the Rams could not get to them. Rams are not very good diggers. I even stuck a little plastic cup thingy in there for them to use as a pit. They have not spawned since I switched to sand :-/

dizzcat

by dizzcat

That pic is their second successful spawn. They dug a pit for the wigglers in the rock, but the rock was so big the wigglers wiggled deep in and the Rams could not get to them. Rams are not very good diggers. I even stuck a little plastic cup thingy in there for them to use as a pit. They have not spawned since I switched to sand :-/

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I'm not sure how they all stick together... I assume they're still covered in something related to the yolk, or whatever the angels use to stick the eggs to the leaves to begin with. They like to spawn on vertical surfaces, and when they spit the babies back at the leaf they just stick there, so... who knows. I don't exactly want to stick my finger on there to find out, heh. The angels would probably try to bite it off.

Probably the rams are getting used to the new substrate... once they get comfy again, maybe they will start spawning. Fish are so weird about their babies... they go to all these lengths to protect them, then they just eat them or forget them or something, heh. Sucks they were getting lost in the rock substrate.

Pregnant Cichlid Question

15 posts • Page 2 of 2