kalkwasser

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

kalkwasser

by singapore

i bought some kent marine suppliments. iodide, strontium somthing, and liquid calcium. they all say i can dose with kalkwasser. people on this site have also reccomended it to me...but i have no idea what it is. . . any help?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

uhhhhhhh to me its a pain..... BUT it works like crack to a drug dealer. Kalkwasser is when german for Limewater. You add some powdered limewater to RO water and mix it up. It will produce a slime on the bottom after it settles and THEN you can dose it into your tank. You can only dose it at night because it actually contains a PH of about 12.3 So it will raise your ph for you at night when it is needed. You COULD do an Auto top off with it at night only.........which is what I was doing, but I got tired of cleaning my bucket out every other day from the sludge. Thats the only way I knew to do it......so i presume it just sucks to do. On the other hand the corals respond great to it and so will your coraline algae. Much better than 2 part calcium and alk. If you could do anything for your tank.....I would suggest a calcium reactor. Everyone that i know that has one swears by them. They add media and a CO2 tank and clean it every other month. Sounds like the ideal solution to me......besides the 500 dollar price tag.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I believe they sell it in a bottle solution form that you can just add to the tank.

singapore

by singapore

i have been thinking about a calcium reactor. i found one for a little over 100 dollars. does that do the same as kalkwasser?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

kinda........it makes the media.......aragonite react and dissolve. The CO2 makes the media dissolve at a slow rate but it will only dissolve when the calcium is below what it should be. It keeps it nice and stable. You just have to be careful with them as the ph may drop too low with it.

kalkwasser

5 posts