no problems

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kei9th

no problems

by kei9th

i have had my tank now going for the fourth week. i havent seen any nitrate,nitrite, ph spike. i havent any bad stuff happen. i have 40# live sand about 40# lr and i have put in fish before i should have. my fish are happy as can be. nobody shows signs of any problems, they all eat like monsters, swim, look vibrant even seem to reconize me when its feeding time. they all come to the front of the tank for food. i have a snowflake eel and a spiny puffer that i feed by hand witch is something cool as hell. i do 10 gallon water changes a week on a 30 gallon tank. like 5 gallons on mon. then five gallons on sat. so i guess the question is am i setting my self up for a terrible disaster or could this be a good thing? also i am putting my sump in sometime in the next week do i have to cycle the sump or put in my filtering media and turn on the pump? is it normal to have my setup working like it is? i thought it would be worse but im happy. the only reason i do such frequent water changes is that i have 4 places within 15 min drive to get seawater.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

mine went like that.........I hope its not setting yourself up for disaster..........because if it is.........im pretty far down that road as well. haha I impressed with your water changes.......I cant afford that. Its a buck a gallon for me.....thats 40 bucks a month to do it like that. I do one when the water is noticibly bad........corals close.......fish start sleeping longer......its gets a green hue to it. Generally its every 2 to 3 weeks. im at 2 weeks a 4 days now..........but I havent been feeding them a whole lot........trying to get them to lose some pounds. Nemo and marlin are on a diet for now. haha. You should post some new pics of everything, im anxious to see what you have going! What kinda sump are you going with?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

okay.........just kidding, your tank is looking good! :)

kei9th

by kei9th

the sump is made from a 20 gallon tank i found in the trash. it will hold with the lr and sand i want about 10 more gallons of water. just waiting for the pump. gonna try a mini refugum in it

kei9th

by kei9th

also filtered seawater is 30 cents a gallon every where in ft. lauderdale. so it costs me like 12 buck a month for water changes.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

DAMN must be nice! I could always go to Jax beach..........HA if I wanted my fish to die. Driving on the beach makes the beaches too polluted. I hate it when people are lazy and throw the empty cans on the beach as well as other stuff. Ill stick with my LFS for now. R/O units cost a TON and so does salt......so its worth 1 dollar a gallon to me. :)

snowboss

by snowboss

RO unit from melvsreef is 169 bucks, you tell him where and how your hooking it up and he sends the correct fittings with it - - awsome deal, im gonna order one as soon as the big tank gets close to filling - - -

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

whats the best way to hook one up?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

thats completely up to you...............i will have a tank room dedicated to the aquarium so i will have a deep sink right in there with the tank and th RO system will be monted right on the wall, if you have a basement you can tap it right into the house supply line, or you can get it to fit under the kitche sink - -where ever you put it, it has to be near a drain of some sort {like the washer drain in the basement} because RO system make about 1 gallon of water and waste 3 gallons {thats about average -4 to 1 ratio, some are less some are more} also remeber that you will need some sort of container to fit near it too, to store the RO water in

Boss

no problems

9 posts