Help with Tank/New fish/Sand

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Let me take a guess Doom, a blue gourami? Those guys can be mean mean! They don't tell you that at the store, and in books they say they are peaceful. The same with Molly's. I have found them to be mean little buggers! What gets me is you are in the store and see a person getting a bag of Tiger Barbs, you ask them if they know they are horrible fin nippers and they say "the store clerk said its fine, so its fine". I just shake my head and walk away. I know they will put them in the tank and the tigers will get all their other fish.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Hah, yep, a blue one. I had a nice dwarf one for a while that had no peace at ALL when that guy was around. Finally separated them and had my dwarf guy all happy and beautiful, and then the crawfish got him. Poor guy couldn't catch a break.

What gets me is the pleco sales... people never check to see what their adult size will be, and then they end up in the river. Of course, the salespeople at the store never mention the size, either.

One thing I can say about the PetSmart in my town is that the sales associates there actually WILL NOT sell fish to people who are just setting up a tank, and when people want an oscar cichlid or something that will grow large, they ask about their tank size and point them in another direction if it's too small. I was shocked.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

What I don't like is when you actually KNOW what you are talking about and a know it all refuses to sell you a fish! As I was cycling my African Mbuna tank, I read, read, read and read some more! I made lists of fish I wanted, I crossed 98% off that list after reading up on them and their compatibility with what I wanted. So, I have my first 2 choices picked out, Electric Yellows and Acei, 1 male, 2-3 females each and excitedly go off to the store! The woman at the store wouldn't sell them to me until I corrected her on some cichlids she had mislabeled! She says, "they take spacial care" I say "yes I know, the tank is set up just FOR them" she says "bla bla bla" I say "um, this is wrong, that is not an electric blue hap, that is a Melanochromis johannii" she walks off and checks her book, comes back, changes the name and says "which ones do you want?" LMAO! I am so glad I caught that! I was getting pissed! Now when ever I go in she asks ME questions!

I make it a priority to leave the fish I want in the store, go home and read up on it. If its a fit I will then go back and get it. It is very hard to do! When I was ready to add my 3rd Mbuna group, I asked a zillion questions to a guy on this forum LOL. I have the perfect fit now! A small group of red Zebra's. No sick fish, no fighting, and everyone is happy.

I learned my lesson the hard way, I did give into that impulse and took home 4 cute little Red Minor Serpae Tetra, thinking all tetras were busy but nice, which was my past experience. NOPE! These buggers took off after my Rams, my guppies, my angels and even my poor little otto cats!! All within an hour! Back they went! So I made a list of what NOT to buy and if a fish wasn't on it it would be OK. I now have a school of neons and rummy noses in my community tank.

One thing that makes deciding what you want a little easier is pick your main fish and built around that. I choose my Bolivian rams, and if a fish I liked wont work with them I don't get them. I knew I wanted Electric Yellows, so I took it from there. That way you have a focus to help you out.

Wow did I just ramble on!

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Oh man, I have four serpae tetras in my big angelfish tank. The pristella tetras are too docile for them to bother with, and the angels will just kill them if they try to start anything, so the result is four very ripped-up serpae tetras. They just pick, pick, pick at each other so badly... I even thought they had fin rot at one point because their fins were getting torn in such weird ways.

Help with Tank/New fish/Sand

14 posts • Page 2 of 2