Need advice on how to deal with my driftwood.

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I have a large amount of big, clunky, Malaysian driftwood pieces in my 37 gallon. I want to change it because: 1. I'm tiring of the look and 2. the wood takes up a lot of volume that I'd rather have open for the fish to use. I want to use a branchier, spikier piece of driftwood without as much bulk. However, I can't just take out the mass I have and replace it with the piece I want because I need all my current wood to keep the tank at barely a 7.6-7.8 pH minimum.

So I was thinking, what if I removed all the wood and substrate, then cut up all the driftwood into smaller, hand-sized pieces, placed it all on the bottom of the tank, then added back the substrate on top of the wood. Some of the wood would be below the substrate surface, but pieces/parts would stick up all over the place, too. Then I would place the new driftwood/branch, plants, etc. on top of all of that. (I would also have to use less substrate so that I can reduce the overall volume taken up by the current driftwood.)

I'm not sure about the following: 1. Will the wood be more likely to rot or cause other problems being below the surface? and 2. Is buried driftwood less effective at reducing pH? Thoughts?

Zambize

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

sounds like a good idea to me i know in the display tanks at my LFS alot of the wood is burried under the substrate....some of it looks awsome, creates caves and whatnot.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

The stuff burried in mine causes alot of gross buildup from fish poop and gunk underneath and i keep moving it from side to side to clean under it weekly...then i have to re-burry it. So as long as you keep moving it and cleaning under it it should be ok. unless its like siliconed to the bottom of the tank, junk will be able to get under there.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Bug -

What kind of substrate do you have?

Z

4 posts