Random Growthof Mushroom / Sea Anenomoe / Feather Duster????

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blinddrummer15

by blinddrummer15

Hello, i recently setup a saltwater fish tank in July. I put some instant ocean in it and i have a protein skimmer running, not much else although I'm supposed to. I have no living fish in it. I do have 1 starfish, 1 snail, and 2 crabs. I also have 1 live rock and 3 smallish coral rock. About 4 weeks ago i spotted a small feather duster or anenomoe looking thing growing at the inlet of my filter system. It has grown some since then, so i know it is a living thing. it has tentacles of sort and a base and is attached, but moves about. I would like to know what it is and why it has just randomly grown there. Thanks~!

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

hello.
From my experience (not much) it may be apstasia, which from what i no can become a pest. Look it up on the net. Does it move completely from its location, or does it just move about in a single position??? u no like current movement. If you put LR in it may have come in as a hitch hiker and found it way to were it is.

blinddrummer15

by blinddrummer15

It doesn't quite look like that. It has somewhat of a stem and many tenticles. Its about .5 inch tall and does move around a bit ( both tenticles moving and the base moving from where it is attached on the inlet.)

3 posts