How many shrimps?

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Zoo I want your LFS...lol Nothing around me carries f'ing shrimp. I have to drive 90 miles round trip to go to a place that has one shrimp tank (100gal planted) and wait 45 mins for them to fish out what I requested lol. Last time I asked for 6 amanos, they gave me 4 amanos and two juvenile cherry reds. lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Ghost shrimp can get 2 inches long from eyes to tip of tail. The antennae can get 5 inches and the front claws maybe 1.5 inches long.

They're like small lobsters.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah my ghost shrimp ate my cherry reds...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

damn, the ones i get are only about an inch at the largest. they get eatin in about 2.5 seconds in my cichlid tank.

I would not drive that far to get shrimp. They are only like 12 for $1.49. not even worth the time much less the gas money. Screw that. I would get some then breed them by the bunches and see if you can sell them to your LPS's.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

best to go with many ghost shrimp, if you have a 55 gallon, you can get up to 20-25.Ratio is usually 1 per gallon.

Ghost Shrimp will eat anything. They never pick fights with fish, actually quite timid around fish. Amongst themselves, one larger shrimp may pick on another less larger shrimp, but rarely do they ever get into fights.

I learned a hard lesson with shrimp. GHost shrimp shed their outer layer many times during their 1-2 year life span. Sadly, when I first started keeping this shrimp, they used to lie on the tank floor, and thinking they had died due to water changes or what have you, I would get rid of the shrimp. Well about a few weeks into keeping them, I read somewhere online that when they do "shed", they will lie on the floor of the tank and look dead, but unless they turn pink, they are not dead. If they are white, they are still alive. Pink, they are dead.

So be very careful if you see a shrimp lying on the floor of the tank, it may be alive even though it appears it is dead. Just a word of caution.

Outside of this, ghost shrimp are very interesting creatures which will clean your tank and amuse you at the same time.

hope this helps

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea thats true for any kind of invert I believe, or atleast crab, shrimp and lobster.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I was buying Amano Algae eating shrimp at my local Amano Aquarium store in San Francisco. They confirmed that shrimps are a low bioload. Amano website says at least 1 shrimp per gallon is a good ratio.

How many shrimps?

17 posts • Page 2 of 2