Just want to introduce myself!!!

21 posts • Page 2 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

the albinos i have seen have red splotches on their body.

ELI05GT

by ELI05GT

Those are not real Albino's. Like I said a real Albino is all white, with NO marking and red eyes. I will try to find a picture so you can see the diffrence.

gumbii

by gumbii

i used to have two pairs of wild oscars... they all had a red circle towards thier caudal fin... very gorgeous fish...

and i've seen true albino's... i've even seen true albino long fins... long fins are freaken ugly IMO...

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

What kind of oscar do I have then? He or she was called an albino oscar. It is white with orange flame markings on it and has red eyes.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea I guess you are right. Being truly albino is different from just being white.

From Wiki:

Albinism is hereditary; it is not an infectious disease and cannot be transmitted through contact, blood transfusions, or other vectors. The principal gene which results in albinism prevents the body from making the usual amounts of the pigment melanin. Most forms of albinism are the result of the biological inheritance of genetically recessive alleles (genes) passed from both parents of an individual, though some rare forms are inherited from only one parent. There are other genetic mutations which are proven to be associated with albinism. All alterations, however, lead to changes in melanin production in the body.

My thought:

Higher melanin is proven to help fight against harmful UV rays and skin cancer (i.e. People of darker skin color get sun burned less often under same exposures and exposure times). With melanin being low in an albino fish, wouldn't excessive lighting in tanks be highly detrimental? IMO, you would want to isolate such fish into a lower light aquarium in order to provide them with a safer environment.

Does that sound plausible?

ELI05GT

by ELI05GT

sumthing fishy, you have what is called a LUTINO Oscar.

ELI05GT

by ELI05GT

jweb, maybe in humans.. And maybe in fish. Tell you the truth I have no idea. I did however forget to find those pictures of the fish.. I will do that right now and get back to you.

EDIT: Here are the pic.

This is a TRUE Albino Oscar...
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd23 ... Oscar2.jpg

And this is a LUTINO Oscar...
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd23 ... h-2588.jpg

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Yep, mine is a Lutino. Looks just like mine.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Wow that is pretty cool. I love that albino oscar I gotta get one. Where did you obtain that one from?

ELI05GT

by ELI05GT

Those pic are not my fish, they are fish that belong to some people on the Oscar website I belong to. But any local fish store will have Oscar's, they would be in the aggresive section.

Just want to introduce myself!!!

21 posts • Page 2 of 3