Success without a skimmer

22 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

Have you experienced any single stalk failures with the red sea pulsing Xenia? I have 2 species in the Xenia refugium and both grow very well. The red sea(pom pom), will occasionally split off and a stalk will melt away but overall, the field continues to thrive and grow.

The Silver Elongata, on the other hand, grows almost twice as fast and I have never lost a single stalk. The pom pom seems to be a bit more touchy.

ocreef

by ocreef

No I haven't experienced any single stalk failures... however the way to get them to split and multiply, is by lowering the tank temperature and changing the lighting slightly and keep it that way for a week or so....this tricks the animal into thinking there is actually a season change going on, it will feel threatened/scared and do its best to survive by dividing several times. Try this and ultimatley you will have more Xenia's, this has worked with most common species sold in the aquarium trade today.

schigara

by schigara

I don't have any problem with Xenia splitting and multiplying. Both of my species split every 2-3 days.

My point and question was referring to the nutrient requirements of the 2 different species. We all know that most Xenia species will thrive upon additions of iodide but some are happier than others in a low nutrient system and was just curious about your experiences with just the red sea pulsing Xenia.

gumbii

by gumbii

yeah... my LFS can't keep evergreen xenia in thier reef setups... but so far it's been growing like crazy in my tank...

schigara

by schigara

gumbii, what's up with this guy? I tried mending fences by asking him a serious question about a particular species of Xenia and he gives me a novice/brush off reply like I'm some kind of newbie?

gumbii

by gumbii

i know... he works at an LFS... what do you espect...

and i also get stalk failures... i noticed that they do that when i clean out the protein skimmer... i guess some of the nasty stuff goes back into the water system... my homie right here says that it might be bacterial infection after the stalks split... do you have a UV sterilizer...

schigara

by schigara

nope....no uv.

schigara

by schigara

I'm not worried about it. I was just hoping the Xenia Pro, who sells a stalk for $40 had enough experience and could shed some light. Apparently GARF is still the leading pros on Xenia in captivity and propagation.

gumbii

by gumbii

nether do i... maybe he gots a point... make a thread at reefcentral about it...

what's your member name over there...???

schigara

by schigara

same name. I have never asked over there because I already know the answer. There is no answer, yet. My question to what's his name was more rhetorical than anything but he couldn't even answer a rhetorical question correctly!

The smart person is willing to say, "I don't know".

Success without a skimmer

22 posts • Page 2 of 3