ever feed fish turkey etc?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

sometimes during the week I will feed my fish cooked turkey, chicken; ground (lean) beef; I've tried raw spinach, but my fish do not like this; they do like bits of lettuce, they like pinto beans (though you must watch out for its fat content is very high)

I've tried bit of sardine though only once a month for the oil (even though washed off) is very high in fat content

my fish love mince earthworms

of course I only feed the fish "human" food once a week as a treat; I vary the treat every week. For instance, just a few minutes ago I gave the fish bits of turkey. They devoured it, even the fry, though they only nibble at the pieces, love it

I wonder what other members may feed their fish outside of flakes, pellets, wafers or store bought fish food

gumbii

by gumbii

no...

gumbii

by gumbii

i do give my black throat monitor ground turkey...

seankh

by seankh

I got a cat fish when i was fishing once and it was to small so i kept him in the bathtub fed him hot dogs tell it was big enough to eat.My wife waspissed for a month!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

here is a list of food you can give your fish. Best to soften the food preferably in a blender:

frozen then thawed (as raw as possible:)

crabmeat
all types of fish
lobster
oyster
clam
shrimp
mussels
(no canned tuna fish)

Canned:

peas (preferably the inside of the pea)
beans (pinto, lima)

Raw:

lettuce
spinach
ground beef (lean)
zucchini

Cooked to soften, then serve cold:

potato
chicken
broccoli
cauliflower
egg yolk (it can be messy, but the fish will devour it)

misc:

redworms
whiteworms
fruit flies
bloodworms
water fleas
earthworms

You must mince or use a blender to mush it up so the fish will devour it; if you have large fish, you can give it to them either whole or chopped up.

The key to feeding the above foods must be in moderation. Once a week try something different. Not all fish will eat what I posted, via trial & error, you will find what your fish will eat. Consider such food as treats. Of course continue to feed your fish flake, pellets, wafers, etc.

hope this helps

jweb1369

by jweb1369

wow, um my fish eat fish food....

Flakes, hikari gold pellets

Frozen: Brine, Krill, Mysis, Bloodworms, red algae, green algae, spirulina...

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

jweb, my fish eat fish food too, flakes, pellets, wafers, krill, etc...I mix all the ingredients together in a container so all the different types of fish get something to their liking

but as a treat, I give the fish something from the above list. It is strictly a treat, once a week, I'll give them something different.

bloodworms are yummy to fish, this is an excellent source of protein. kudos on this

miami754

by miami754

It is key to point out that many fish cannot eat meats like this as their digestive systems cannot handle it. They may eat these things, but it is not good for them at all. Mbunas are one example. They are herbivores, but will eat anything you drop in the aquarium. However, meaty foods can really mess them up and kill them. I just thought I would point out to people to research your specific fish as not all can eat whatever you feel like feeding them.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree 100% miami. some fish are strictly herbicores (vegetarians). But if you know your fish well, and the fish can eat meaty foods, go for it.

peas (the inner part) is good to clean out the digestive system of a fish

but I do agree miami, know your fish's limitations, but if your fish can devour some meaty foods other than bloodworms, mealworms, etc, go for it.

This was my only point, if the fish can eat it, there no problem with giving the fish "human" foods, but only as treats NOT as their sole diet

gumbii

by gumbii

i have a couple of tanks that only eat jello food that i make for them... which is made of spirulina flake, peas, spinash, squash, romane lettuce, dried shrimp, selcon, zoe, and reptical... blend it up with water, throw in a packet of clear jello and bam.. food for a year or two... just freeze it...

10 posts