DIY sump/ refugium

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

DIY sump/ refugium

by blueshoes2208

K guys need some more beginner help does anybody have some homemade plans for their sump? I only have room for perhaps a 20 gallon tank below my 70 gal

thanks

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I just built my sump and installed it this past weekend. I used a 20 gal long fish tank that I picked up at my local fish store for $24. Went to Home Depot for a sheet of Lexan and silicone (Aquarium safe) $13. If you have a skimmer make sure it can be used in a sump and if so find out how large that space needs to be. From there you can make your refug. as large as possible and then a space for your return (pump). A word of advise make your pump area somewhat large because any evaporation will come out of this section and if it is too small you'll be topping off everyday or installing an auto top off devise which I am in the process of doing (more work).

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

oh really... see my only problem is my tank is a corner tank, 1/4 circle shape, and inside the stand there is not very much room... i took a closer look and the standard 10 gal MIGHT fit in it, does the height of the refugium matter?

gumbii

by gumbii

i used a rubbermaid tub and a rubbermaid closet saver thing... you know... those small drawers...

well... here's a pic...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ ... 8_1022.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ ... 8_1021.jpg

see...

gumbii

by gumbii

well i forgot my point on the last post... but... you don't need that much space to have a bunch of filtering media... you could build up instead of building out to the sides...

DIY sump/ refugium

5 posts