Help me name/find Color Enhancing Bulbs!?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

GreenMandarin6731

by GreenMandarin6731

Ok i am looking for any fluorescent bulb 24" long types, which has color enhancing factors within them as it can and may look inside your tank and reflecting off of your fish and water as , Blueish, purpleish, and dark pinkish!?

I use to have a bulb on a 45 gallon set-up ive purchased years ago entitled on the end "RADIONIC" and another bulb which i forgot what it read, but one of these looked real purple at bulb glance right at the bulb, nothing like white, the other was bluer i believe and gave real nice color tones inside the tank... i want to mix some bulbs to give a certain look as well as it being beneficial to my fish.. since i am not using live plants.... IT WOULD BE SO MUCH APPRECIATED!!! as i have been looking for these bulbs for A LONG TIME! i would hope to stop searching and hopefullly have a nice knowledgeable person about this topic to reply back to this thread! thank you thank you thank you!!!

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I'm not too knowledgable on lights, but any help is nice sometimes. The bulb I use is called Power-Glo and it is 18,000K which is blueish/purpleish light. It is used for cichlid tanks, marine tanks, planted tanks. It is about $20 which made it the most expensive at my LPS. It adds great color to my cichlids, you might not be able to tell in my pics but you can check them out if you'd like. I find that this bulb is a little too bright for most plants. 10,000k I believe is closest to actual sunlight. The color of light goes by the degrees and there is a chart or website somewhere online. Anyways, you should be able to pick the bulb I got up at a LPS, atleast mine had it.

GreenMandarin6731

by GreenMandarin6731

I remember why i do not remember the other brand! it burnt the ink off overtime eventually! and is no longer showing text but does operate. probably at major reduced output but only at the very ends.

gumbii

by gumbii

go to walmart and get the GE one they have... it's really good... no LFS or big chain petshop carries it... i only see drfosters and wal-mart stores caring it...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

GreenMandarin, lightbulbs are reduced by 50-60% of their output in 6-12 months of use.

5 posts