2nd floor collapse?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jav36

2nd floor collapse?

by jav36

if i had a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump on my 2nd floor could my floor collapse? its probably gonna be around 1500 lbs. but thats a very rough estamite. has it ever happened to someone?

gumbii

by gumbii

how old is your pad...???

singapore

by singapore

yeah its all about how sturdy your floor is. maybe contact someone who knows the details of your floorplan/blueprints

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I'd say about 1300 at most. But Maybe buy a stud finder and make sure it is sitting evenly on studs. I would definately check the wood though to make sure it's clean good solid sturdy wood and not rotted. Also you can possibly buy something to disperse the weight like a larger stand or something... just a thought.

schigara

by schigara

The closer it sits to a load bearing wall the better. I'd worry if it were out in the middle of the floor joists.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

shigara has a good point also because the beams are better supported and have less chance of bowing if not breaking.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

i have seen someone pull up there carpet and pour concrete down on their second floor to make sure it was sturdy enough.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ill add that ..............the more area your stand has for a foot print the better off you will be - - -i.e. 4 legs is more dangerous than 6 or even 8 legs because all that weight is distributed onto the feet........doesn't matter how massive the stand is ......it the square inches on the floor that cary the weight

my mother has a beautiful hutch in her kitchen .....it's huge and it has little tiny legs........so about 800 lbs of wood are standing on about 4 square inches ......and yes there are indent marks in their very nice hard wood floors...................so becareful

a building inspector can tell you for prolly a 50 dollar courtesy call

useless fact - - - - 100% of our body weight is carried on 2% of our bodies {our feet, lol} same principle

Boss

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Hello i'm a builder from Australia, and can tell you that over here, floor BEARERS or JOIST on second level homes are generally made from 200mm x 45mm treated pine timbers, in older houses they could be made from hard wood, which makes them even tougher.The spacing of these bearers are 450mm apart. depending on the design of the home they could run front to back or side too side of the house.Assuming your tank is on a side wall and ur bearers run side to side of the house i would be running some lengths of timber long ways across the span of your tank stand. Say ur tank is 6ft then the stand would be 6ft so the length of timber would be 6ft to span between the outer legs. This will absorb the weight more evenly in a downward motion on to ur bearers. If your bearers run front to back the span timbers from front to back of your tank stand. You can use a stud finder to locate bearer direction, or look for plaster joins or nail marks in the lower roof. I think the floor on its own would be ok to support that weight on its own, because its the same as a lower level area that has not got a concrete slab, but to be sure that would be the best way.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea best bet is to spread the weight out. Set the stand onto a couple of massive boards that can hold that much weight and not crack or bow and make sure its near a side wall, you should be okay. I would still ask a professional though.

2nd floor collapse?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2