Empty 8gal

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

gumbii

by gumbii

it doesn't have to be that expensive... you don't need metal halides and a chiller... you could start off with a fish only saltwater tank... then add the rock, then upgrade the lights and get mushrooms or polyps... then get a chiller... it doesn't have to be top notch either...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

betta tank?

jweb1369

by jweb1369

If and when I start a salt tank I will buy all the live rock first and let it sit for a couple weeks if not a month or so. Then eventually add corals and stuff. Then fish and inverts last.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

You could house a few dwarf puffers in there as a species only tank...I konw I've told this story before but I bought the last DP to come out of my local petsmart before they stopped carrying them.

The last alive out of a shipment of 30 (obviously the hardiest). Apparently they were used to getting 30 in at a time and losing 90% of them before they made it out the door. Blimpie's still going strong now that it's been a couple months since his rough infection. :)

You could go with 3 in there (1m, 2f) as long as you're able to filter it well, and possibly some ghost shrimp or something as clearners. An oto wouldn't hurt either. They will need the tank fully cycled to begin with though. Can't really start the cycle with these guys..

Cheap and entertaining. Just one is all the entertainment I need..

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

I dont think im comfortable doing a tank that small with anything other than cheap inverts (ghost shrimp maybe) if I do end up going in that direction...I just find that its sooooooooo much more stable if its a larger tank....but MAYBE I could go planted with some very simple low light plants and a bunch of ghosties?

snowboss

by snowboss

PICO REEF !!!!!!!!!

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

lol snow i wish i wish. Iv siliconed the slit in the bottom and tomorrow Im going to fill it with water to see how well it all holds. If it doesnt i'll remove all the silicon even on the corners and re-silicon it all. I plan to do this tank by spending as little $ as possible. Iv already got playsand which i'll wash up. I've got drift wood boiling now that I found in the basement, and Iv got an old filter. So far I'll have to buy a small heater, some shrimp, and the cheapest, easiest plants that I can grow. And if algae becomes a problem an oto.

Anyone suggest a cheap water heater? Maybe one I can find at walmart....

gumbii

by gumbii

werd... walmart... or you could price match at petsmart... just print it out from thier online site and they will price match it with no problem...

Empty 8gal

18 posts • Page 2 of 2